BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a call from dealer saying the spark plugs need to be replaced. My car is under new car warranty until Jan 2012. They are saying spark plugs are not covered under new car warranty? Is it right?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You mean the free maintenance program? I don't know what the specifics are for the program in Canada, but you should read the documents thoroughly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine was covered under the 4 year/50K mile maintenance program in the US......if you are out of your original new car warranty/maintenance program, then it is not covered.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
They might be right. Spark plugs would fall under wear and tear (read maintenance). Since you are based in Canada, I am not sure if you have free maintenance. Now is there any complaint you can raise about the way the car drives that would make the spark plug replacement a warranty item?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car sometimes shakes at cold starts. The car was at the dealer because the car won't start. It started after few tries with transmission malfunction warning.
They replaced the battery and were keeping the car to check for battery draw.
Today they called me saying that it needs spark plugs.
The car is under maintenance as its still with in 4 years/80k km.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
My car sometimes shakes at cold starts. The car was at the dealer because the car won't start. It started after few tries with transmission malfunction warning.
They replaced the battery and were keeping the car to check for battery draw.
Today they called me saying that it needs spark plugs.
The car is under maintenance as its still with in 4 years/80k km.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my 2008 5 Series "Service and Warranty Information" booklet on page 4 it states Spark Plug Service: Replace at the following intervals:
528i, 528Xi, 550i: 100,000 miles (160,000 KM)
535i, 535Xi, 535Xi Sports Wagon: 45,000 miles (72,000 KM)

This is clearly something that should be covered under the maintenance agreement - if not the warranty since a problem covered under warrantly may have shortened the expected life of the spark plugs.

Good luck - let us know what happens!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you're under the 4 year 50K warranty, they owe you spark plugs. Period, end of story. If you are over that but bought extended maintenance, they owe you plugs.

If you are out of warranty and into CPO, or non CPO....you pay for plugs.

About $350-$400 on a 550.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're under the 4 year 50K warranty, they owe you spark plugs. Period, end of story. If you are over that but bought extended maintenance, they owe you plugs.

Agreed, it should be covered! Surprised to see early failure like this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The person who called me said that the plugs are supposed to be replaced around 70 k km (40k miles). He got it wrong. Thats for 535i not 550i. 550i is 100k miles. My car has only 67k km on it. Car overheated couple of weeks ago. It may have caused plugs to go bad. I have talked to the service manager and hopefully he'll take car of it. If not I'll call BMW Canada.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
How much for spark plugs - what are options

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK - you blew me away! $400 to change park plugs? $50 per plug?:yikes:

Do they have to register the plugs?, take them out to dinner, warm them up before insertion so they go in easier? Are these special BMW only plugs made of unobtanium? :rofl:

No, reallly - help me understand...

Also, what are the risks in being done by an Indy shop or DIY?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just received a call from dealer saying the spark plugs need to be replaced. My car is under new car warranty until Jan 2012. They are saying spark plugs are not covered under new car warranty? Is it right?
Either you dealer is wrong (might be worth a discussion with the service manager), or I just have a great dealer. My '08 550 was in for servicing and the brake line recall a couple of weeks ago, and my dealer changed out the spark plugs under warranty related to some minor engine misfires in the really cold weather (-30 and below) - and my car is only at 20k km. There was no question about the spark plugs not being covered.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have talked to service manager and he will look into it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK - you blew me away! $400 to change park plugs? $50 per plug?:yikes:

Do they have to register the plugs?, take them out to dinner, warm them up before insertion so they go in easier? Are these special BMW only plugs made of unobtanium? :rofl:

No, reallly - help me understand...

Also, what are the risks in being done by an Indy shop or DIY?
I have about 57K on my 550. I plan on having mine changed out at 75K so I asked my local stealer for a quote. $400 is what they came back with. You got it...$50/plug. Gonna ask my Indy for the same quote and see the difference.

Good thing I don't have a V10.:rofl:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Service manager called back and they will cover the plugs.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Service manager called back and they will cover the plugs.
Glad to hear that - sad that you had to fight with BMW over that and even sadder that the spark plugs go out so soon.

·
Plate O' Shrimp
326 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I was quoted $620 for plugs and labor

1 - 20 of 26 Posts