BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay don't beat me upside the head for this one because I know we've had just under a bazillion discussions about the debate on which spark plugs to use for our cars. But I was wondering if anyone had a problem occurring when they switched to different sparks? The reason I ask is because at the end of the summer I am changing my baby's plugs and my mechanic told me to make sure I buy the same exact ones that are in my car now. He said he had a person come into his shop with the NGK's for him to install on his Benz and even though the mechanic told him it wouldn't be a good idea to change brands the person insisted that these were the best, so of course he did want the guy wanted. And once they were all installed his car wouldn't start. So my mechanic took out the NGK's and put back the original ones and viola - the car started right up.

Anyone else have or hear of similar problems? Because I was really planning on picking up the NGK's but now that I have heard this I am not too sure.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
No. Installation error or defective plugs. If for some reason the car won't start when you change plugs, just take them back.

If you had read the threads you would have seen plenty of people switching from other brands ;)

This thread sucks, BTW. :p

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes of course I've read all the other threads on spark plugs and I didn't see anyone having any problems. So I guess like you said maybe they were defective. I mean it does happen. While I was at advance auto parts the other day a guy was buying Bosch sparkies and when he opened them up he saw they were all used already. So I guess it does happen every once in a blue moon.

And yes I agree with you. This thread sucks some big balls.

Please Oh Please webmaster/Moderator DELETE this thread before anyone else sees.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It never fails to amaze me how many mechs. are total idiots.

Bumping the FAIL thread is bad karma. :eek:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
No. Bumping the fail thread is good karma so other people don't do it.

In fact, quoted for longevity. Noobs, please don't make stupid threads like this:
Okay don't beat me upside the head for this one because I know we've had just under a bazillion discussions about the debate on which spark plugs to use for our cars. But I was wondering if anyone had a problem occurring when they switched to different sparks? The reason I ask is because at the end of the summer I am changing my baby's plugs and my mechanic told me to make sure I buy the same exact ones that are in my car now. He said he had a person come into his shop with the NGK's for him to install on his Benz and even though the mechanic told him it wouldn't be a good idea to change brands the person insisted that these were the best, so of course he did want the guy wanted. And once they were all installed his car wouldn't start. So my mechanic took out the NGK's and put back the original ones and viola - the car started right up.

Anyone else have or hear of similar problems? Because I was really planning on picking up the NGK's but now that I have heard this I am not too sure.
:bustingup

<3 Heidi, just messin' with ya.

·
Search: Top right corner
1,127 Posts
No. Installation error or defective plugs. If for some reason the car won't start when you change plugs, your probably shouldn't work on bmw's since changing plugs is easiest thing to do.

This thread sucks, BTW. :p
Fixed :thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

This is true.

BTW, next time I need to change the spark plugs on my CBR, I think I'll let you come over and do it. I'd almost rather clean the carbs again......:rofl:

·
Search: Top right corner
1,127 Posts

This is true.

BTW, next time I need to change the spark plugs on my CBR, I think I'll let you come over and do it. I'd almost rather clean the carbs again......:rofl:
You can come visit me, I'm not going to your country..........state to do a plug swap.

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
:lmao: Heidi, you can use that to remember to always check your parts before leaving the parts house.

Chad, after your issues with the carbs, maybe Brent SHOULD come do it for you....... er, you go to him, I mean. We know how he feels about your state.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
:lmao: Heidi, you can use that to remember to always check your parts before leaving the parts house.

Chad, after your issues with the carbs, maybe Brent SHOULD come do it for you....... er, you go to him, I mean. We know how he feels about your state.
Shut it.

I've never dealt with carbs before. They're a bitch. Don't like em. At all.

And yeah, I'd be happy to have someone else do it. I took the radiator off along with everything else, but with the radiator on trying to get to the plugs will be hell.

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
Installation error on spark plugs?! LOLLLLLLL. Is that even possible? I guess it is if you absolutely over-torque the everloving s*** out of them. I enjoy changing the spark plugs on my 318 soooooo much more than my Camry because of that handy-dandy little tool in the trunk. The Camry was an absolute PITA due to the angle/design of the cylinders. Takes me a few minutes with the 318.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
the only isue i have ever seen with spark plugs is when someone puts the platinum +4's in a 'waste spark' ignition system. for those that don't know what that is, it's an ignition system that fires 2 cylinders on the same coil (gm loved this design in the mid-late 80's on). toyota & chrysler use this design, as well as hyundai and most likely a few others that i cannot think of right now.

why this would be a factor on this particular ignition system is due to the fact the coil will fire in the same direction (+ to - for sake of argument). that means on a simple 4 banger with cyls 1 and 2 being '+', that would make 3 and 4 '-' firing. (1 & 4 are 'sisters', and 2 & 3 are sisters). the spark would generate from the #1 cylinder center electrode (whether on compression or exhaust) to the ground electrode, while it would fire from the gound electrode to the center electrode on #4 cylinder. this is most difficult under compression when there are 4 possible points of departure to try to land the spark on a tiny spec of an electorode. (think landing a cesna on a postage stamp in a hurricane...) i have had many driveability issues that the owner swore weren't related to the tune up because he 'just put them in himself...". firing kv showed ground side high resistance which was related to the incorrect plug application. switched them out and no more issues.

other than that, spark plugs function pretty much the same in regards to producing spark. for sake of argument i tend to stick with oem designed plugs. i also like to use a touch of anti-seize and dilectric grease on the plugs as well.

df

·
Banned
843 Posts
I had ngks i swiched to bosch iridiums..felt the difference right away!! The installation is so easy that a ****ing moron can do it! so good luck! =)

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
Heidi, On advice here, I changed out my regular NGK's (which probably weren't that old) to Iridium IX's, expecting massive improvements.

It ran like a sick dog for 50-100km* or so; I thought they were useless. But then they settled down and behaved exactly the same as the original platinums. I can only assume the car "learned" the new plugs.
But I probably won't have to change them again for the life of the car.

* Not all sick dogs can run this far.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
Guess you *do* read the fine print after all, Kingy-poo.

:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts