BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Bi When I got in my 2011 328i there was a loud sound coming from the rear speaker, sounding much like a Geiger Counter (I hadn't even started the car yet). The very annoying sound continued for the 20 min. drive home with the radio on or off. I hosed off the car off since it was dirty from being parked under a tree during a hard rain. After I hosed it the sound stopped. I hope it doesn't come back.

·
Assistant Hobo
168 Posts
Me too. That sounds like it would be annoying.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sounds like water may have gotten onto the amplifier in the trunk, causing the static. And maybe hosing off the car cleared the drain of whatever was blocking it and causing it to fill the compartment where the amplifier is housed!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm sure you are right

We had a lot of rain here in So. Fl. How does water get in or on the Amp? Sounds very Micky Mouse .Can you yell me where to look for the Amp., And What are they doing at BMW "Ultimate driving machine" indeed Thanks. jimmk:)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The amp is probably (since BMW does seem to move things around a bit (depending upon chassis type or model year) at the left side of trunk behind the wheel well. If water pools somewhere rather than running freely to the ground thru a drain tube, it can run thru unsuspected passages to weird places.
After my E46 had some minor bodywork and a not-perfect weld, I had water get to the amp and short it out! First I had static, but that went away. Much later, it simply shorted out and had to be replaced.
Some E90 owners have had water dump out of a bottle in the trunk and it got to the amp and shorted it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.