BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
82nd Airborne!
381 Posts
Undecided on wether choosing Infinity, Phoenix Gold or Audiobahn :dunno: or Polk audio. Never heard of Phoenix Gold :rolleyes: but i would like to know if anyone has them on their car ;) since the prices are too good to pass by, but like the saying goes you get what you paid for and I dont want to make that mistake. :tsk:

Some say that it wont make a difference if I change my factory speakers without getting an amp, just wanted to replace to speakers to get a cleaner sound and install a basslink sub in the rear to keep my budget within limit... :bawling:

Anyway, any opinions on Phoenix Gold, Infinity or Audiobahn would be appreciated, I already know about Polk Audio

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
MB Quarts are popular to use, too. I think it will help to change the speakers but if you REALLY want to make a big difference, you'll need to go the amp route.

Also, check the audio section here on 'Fest.

·
Registered
664 Posts
chgolatin2 said:
Undecided on wether choosing Infinity, Phoenix Gold or Audiobahn :dunno: or Polk audio. Never heard of Phoenix Gold :rolleyes: but i would like to know if anyone has them on their car ;) since the prices are too good to pass by, but like the saying goes you get what you paid for and I dont want to make that mistake. :tsk:

Some say that it wont make a difference if I change my factory speakers without getting an amp, just wanted to replace to speakers to get a cleaner sound and install a basslink sub in the rear to keep my budget within limit... :bawling:

Anyway, any opinions on Phoenix Gold, Infinity or Audiobahn would be appreciated, I already know about Polk Audio

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:
If you're going to change the speakers, DEFINITELY change the amplifier. In most cases, one should change the amplifier, as well as the head unit for higher quality. However, the BMW's have great head unit, but an awful amplifier! If you change the speakers only in your vehicle, the quality (or lack thereof) will be about the same, and you will ruin the new speakers due to the inadequacy of power.

Phoenix Gold is a very popular and good brand. If you are considering Infinity, I'd recommend the Kappa's. Polk will be the best out of all you mentioned above, IMO. However, just as Agent99 mentioned, I'd recommend the MB Quartz (I am biased, however, as these are what I have ;) )

In addition, be sure to purchase 5.25" in any speaker purchased. Our E39's are not designed to fit bigger speakers, and if you purchase anything larger, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment. For a nice, high-quality low sound, I highly recommend a sub-woofer. Putting even good speakers in the rear section of our vehicle simply does not provide much base at all.

Let me know if you have more questions...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh yeah...I forgot to add the following:

The stock amplifier has the crossovers, etc. built inside. Be sure to get components for the front of the vehicle (including crossovers), and coaxials for the rear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
SS said:
If you're going to change the speakers, DEFINITELY change the amplifier. In most cases, one should change the amplifier, as well as the head unit for higher quality. However, the BMW's have great head unit, but an awful amplifier! If you change the speakers only in your vehicle, the quality (or lack thereof) will be about the same, and you will ruin the new speakers due to the inadequacy of power.

Phoenix Gold is a very popular and good brand. If you are considering Infinity, I'd recommend the Kappa's. Polk will be the best out of all you mentioned above, IMO. However, just as Agent99 mentioned, I'd recommend the MB Quartz (I am biased, however, as these are what I have ;) )

In addition, be sure to purchase 5.25" in any speaker purchased. Our E39's are not designed to fit bigger speakers, and if you purchase anything larger, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment. For a nice, high-quality low sound, I highly recommend a sub-woofer. Putting even good speakers in the rear section of our vehicle simply does not provide much base at all.

Let me know if you have more questions...
I agree with everything SS said on the install side, but offer an opinion on the infinity kappas. If you think you want them, listen to them first. I put them in my corvette, 5 1/4 component sets in the front with the tweeters mounted on the A pillar -- I think the model was CS 5.25 or something like that -- and they are REALLY bright. If you like to listen to your music loud, music with sharp highs like rock will fatigue your ears pretty quickly. I might just be getting old, but I shop for warmer or more neutral speakers now and find the sound more pleasing. Listen before you buy is the first rule in speaker purchasing.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Charlutz said:
... Listen before you buy is the first rule in speaker purchasing.
He speaks the truth. What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter. In fact, even the amount of money you spend doesn't matter as much as you think it would. Find something you like (and that fits), then buy them!

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
isaacyoon said:
Isnt there a problem changing the speakers if you have the original tuner w/dsp?
What problem are you thinking might exist? Speakers are "analog" devices...certainly passive devices. They just get sent a signal that vibrates them and the air around them thus producing sound. In principle, all speakers are this way. The speakers in our BMWs that have the original tuner w/DSP aren't special speakers or that do not fit my basic description of a speaker.

So, "No" to your question! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts