Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i want to replace stock with after market what do yall recommend replace them in the stock location or try to fit them on the doors 61/2 components is that difficult is there room for the mid woofer? one more thing thinking of putting the ECLIPSE 3 way set. i guess my ? is can it be done with out to much or any modification other than cutting the speaker holes. thanks ahead for your input.

·
Somebody stop me....
3,696 Posts
Don't cut holes. only dif size you want to do is the 6x9 upgrade in the rear deck. a lot of people swear by the BSW upgrade for the whole car. Personally I think just putting good speakers all around will be fine, along with a deck that has a good output on it. If you want bass get a sub in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Check here for a lot of your questions http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127

For replacing your speakers, do you want sound quality? do you just want something better than stock? Do you want a cheap amped system?

A lot of people, including myself, leave out the rear speakers and put a component set up front that is amped then a sub fired through the ski pass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok what i want is really good sound quality i currently have memphis and JL in my landcruiser, highs and mid are memphis JL AMPs and two 10'' JL SUBS sounds great. i know what i want for AMPS and speakers in the 318i . my ? is that if theres enough room for a 6 1/2'' mid woofer in the door or should it go down in the kick panel where the 5 1/4 are at now i know already that for the tweet is no problem there already is one in the door.sorryif i was not clear enough before. thanks

BTW this is what i want for the doors that i have not bought yet cuase i want to know if they will fit with out major mods
ECLIPSE 3 WAY SYSTEM MODEL IS SC8365, JL AMPS ALL THE WAY, AND JL SUBS, NOT SURE FOR THE REAR DECK BUT TO CONCERNED ABOUT THOSE SPEAKERS MAYBE ECLIPSE HEAD UNIT OR PIONEER PREMIER

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I wouldn't really go for a 3 way system. You don't get very good staging unless you have a really good sound processor where you can change the delays and everything on. So I would really recommend a component setup. What I did on my car is that I just left the mid in the door and put in my tweeters then put 6.5in mid bass in the kicks. Now you will need about 3/4in spacer so you can fit the depth of the mid basses and since the car originally has 5 1/4in you will need some to make new holes for screws and what not.

For the JL amps if you are stuck on those then get the JL HD series amps. For the sub just get 1 10 or 1 12 and fire it through the ski pass. That will give you the most bass and sound quality. Make sure you do a sealed box as well because that gives tighter more responsive bass and you can make it smaller. Or you can look into an infinite baffle system which is what I will probably be doing sometime. This is the ultimate in space saving and a lot of people say they get real nice bass out of them. Just make sure you get a sub that will be able to do an IB setup.

Make sure that you also take out the stock amp. A lot of people will even mount their new amp where the old was since all of the wires will be there all you will need to do is run a ground a battery to the amp. Which is real easy considering the battery is 3ft away :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info TNT817, correct me if i'm wrong, ur saying that the speaker in the doors right now is a mid and not a tweeter. also this is the 1st i hear of a stock amp in the 1993 318i i did not know there was one . where is it at? and one more thing my 318i does not have a ski pass wish it did.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You can call me Clark ;)

Well do you have 2 speakers in your door or one? I've seen some where there is only 1 3in mid in the door and then the mid bass in the kick panel. Then theres the same thing, but with a tweet in the door as well.

If you do have an amp then it will be in the trunk behind the left side of the carpet. Its a black box with 2 plugs running into it. If you do put another amp in then I'll help you with which wires go to what speaker, but that takes awhile and I don't really wanna explain it right now.

You do have a ski pass. Is there just metal in the way? Or do you have the seats that fold completely down in the rear?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know for sure theres a 5 1/4 in the kick panels and for sure one speaker in the doors look like 3'' well at least the grill looks like 3'' but not sure if it's a tweet or a mid. as for the ski pass i can see where the metal piece can be knocked out, so yes theres metal in the way. but even though the rear seat is one complete back rest that does not fold or have the center console that can come down.maybe i could find a backrest that has the ski pass console did i say that right? and for the AMP i'll check tomorrow i did see black boxes but thought they were the rear deck speakers . thanks clark i really appreciate ur help. talkto u tomorrow. BTW i picked this car up for $1000.00 from original owner the car is in awsome shape i still can't believe what i paid for the car my only intentions are sound and aftermarket wheels staggared the color is i guess alpine white, the interior is excellent. just thought i share that info once again thanks.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you are going with JL subs, I recommend a JL amp, just to keep the ohm loads right. A nice looking set up with JL 8w7s would be cool peeking out from the ski pass, and it would be decently loud and good sounding.

For staging a component set, the "ideal" place for the tweets would be in the sail panels, or by the mid range, pointed appropriately. If you aren't crazy about SQ, then just use the factory locations and find a decent HU that has imaging correction/delay correction. Also, if you go with a flush mount tweeter, find one that has a really good off-axis SQ, so that you can make it sound like it's staged correctly.

Here's a little thread I put up on bf.c http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340562&highlight=jdmrecovery may answer a few Q's as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts