Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to invest for a kid's education? I don't even have kids yet, but I'd like to start saving sometime soon.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Look at your time horizon, and choose investments which correspond, just like saving for anything else. Which means, for my 3 year old, I have a few stock funds which are losing money for us.

The S&P 500 hasn't had three consecutive years of declines for at least the past 40 years. However, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. :rolleyes:

·
3,762 Posts
If you go with an education IRA (or other similar), what if the kids decide not to go to college? What if they get a full scholorship? What if they slack off, knowing that they already have their college paid for? To many uncertainties. I decided to just save the money in ordinary investments (money market, mutual funds, etc). This way, I have another windfall in case of emergency, and I also full full flexibility to distribute or use the money as I see fit. Obviously, there has to be a great level of self control on the parent's part to keep from using the money foolishly. Also, the earnings are subject to taxes. So, either way, there are pluses and minuses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts