BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I posted something like this in the F30 forum but thought I might find more info on this board.

I'm planning to order a 330i later this year. Beige interior is very important to me because it makes the car feel more spacious. I notice that even Venetian beige 3 series now come with black headliner, from 2016 onward. (I also see that 2017s will get black carpet, but that doesn't bother me as much). I'm wondering if it's possible for me to special order a 330i with beige headliner. I would be doing a build anyway. If not, is it possible for the dealer to swap out the black headliner for beige when the car arrives? I assume there must be some way to get beige headliners because all the Venetian beige F30s from 2012-2015 had them, so they're a fairly recent replacement part that ought to be on hand.

Hoping any knowledgeable board sponsors or other members can chime in! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I do not know the answer to your question, but would like to point out that the headliner fitted to cars with beige interiors (sensatec or leather) is not beige: It is oyster. It has been some years since I had such a BMW but I remember being less than thrilled with the contrast between beige leather and oyster headliner. I believe the only headliner color choices were/are anthracite and oyster. (Other colors are available for high-end BMWs with Individual leather.)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Thanks. I guess I would be looking for oyster.
Yes. And I think that there actually is a third choice, but that is Everest Gray. Don't forget, too, that the headliner color also involves the pillar trim, so there are quite a few separate parts involved.

Is it only the carpet that goes black for 2017? A look at the German configurator shows that there are two beige leather offerings: Beige/beige (LCDF) appears to be the classic all-beige variant with a black dash but otherwise all beige. Beige/Black (LCV1) is essentially a black interior with almost all leather in beige. So the majority of the door panels, for example, is black with only the leather section of the door in beige.

The 2017 U.S, beige leather interior is LCFL; I think that it is conceivable that one could order the Euro beige/beige (LCDF) version at no or minimal extra cost.

I'm afraid it will be very difficult to get a dealer to swap out the headliner for you gratis. If you were to simply buy the beige headliner and get them to swap, I think we could be talking several hundred dollars -- and a leftover, virtually new anthracite headliner that might go for fifty bucks on craigslist...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Here's another angle for you: The anthracite headliner is NOT standard on a 320i sedan. It is part of the sport package. So, find a 320i (non-sport pkg) owner who wants an anthracite headliner and whose car matches yours in moonroof (or not) configuration...

:dunno:

And if you are talking about a coupe or convertible or wagon, never mind...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. And I think that there actually is a third choice, but that is Everest Gray. Don't forget, too, that the headliner color also involves the pillar trim, so there are quite a few separate parts involved.

Is it only the carpet that goes black for 2017? A look at the German configurator shows that there are two beige leather offerings: Beige/beige (LCDF) appears to be the classic all-beige variant with a black dash but otherwise all beige. Beige/Black (LCV1) is essentially a black interior with almost all leather in beige. So the majority of the door panels, for example, is black with only the leather section of the door in beige.

The 2017 U.S, beige leather interior is LCFL; I think that it is conceivable that one could order the Euro beige/beige (LCDF) version at no or minimal extra cost.

I'm afraid it will be very difficult to get a dealer to swap out the headliner for you gratis. If you were to simply buy the beige headliner and get them to swap, I think we could be talking several hundred dollars -- and a leftover, virtually new anthracite headliner that might go for fifty bucks on craigslist...
Thanks. This is very helpful. I guess the first step will be waiting until later next month when the 2017 configurator goes online and seeing what the interior options are. The 2017 ordering guide sticky says black carpet for all beige, but the Euro beige/beige is news to me and probably would be fairly doable. If I could get the lower 2/3s in beige, black headliner wouldn't be as big a deal. Just not crazy about buying a "beige" interior and getting 2/3s of it in black. Silly that they don't keep a lighter colored option when Audi and Mercedes both have one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's another angle for you: The anthracite headliner is NOT standard on a 320i sedan. It is part of the sport package. So, find a 320i (non-sport pkg) owner who wants an anthracite headliner and whose car matches yours in moonroof (or not) configuration...

:dunno:

And if you are talking about a coupe or convertible or wagon, never mind...
I looked at the saddle brown/brown/brown combination (brown dash), and that actually looks very nice with black. I could live with it I think. Can't find the answer: S/B/B requires luxury package, does luxury package change the suspension from the standard steel suspension? I am fine with the standard steel sport suspension that is on the no-line LCIs. But I wouldn't want a "luxury" or non-sport steel suspension. Luxury package is just cosmetic now, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's funny you have a headliner issue too. When I was looking at new X3s and 3 series wagons with the saddle interior, it really bothered me that the headliner was light and literally everything else in the car was black or saddle. I needed up with a used X3 and one of the reasons I bought this particular one was because it has chestnut interior and the anthracite headliner. Now that I have the anthracite headliner, I will never go back to a lift color. It just disappears into the surroundings and feels unobtrusive. I love it.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,817 Posts
I looked at the saddle brown/brown/brown combination (brown dash), and that actually looks very nice with black. I could live with it I think. Can't find the answer: S/B/B requires luxury package, does luxury package change the suspension from the standard steel suspension? I am fine with the standard steel sport suspension that is on the no-line LCIs. But I wouldn't want a "luxury" or non-sport steel suspension. Luxury package is just cosmetic now, right?
That is correct, the Luxury pkg is purely cosmetic and has no effect on the standard suspension. The standard suspension is tweaked for the LCI, but it is not the 704 sport suspension. The 704 sport suspension is only available with the M Sport pkg.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is correct, the Luxury pkg is purely cosmetic and has no effect on the standard suspension. The standard suspension is tweaked for the LCI, but it is not the 704 sport suspension. The 704 sport suspension is only available with the M Sport pkg.
Thanks. I'm coming from the Mercedes world, where "luxury" models get a softer suspension.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Since I started this thread, I took a second look at saddle brown and decided I liked that better. BUT I still like the beige headliner.

Beige headliner still comes on Euro-spec 3 sedans (see, for example, the UK site). So if it were possible to order Euro beige/beige, it may also be possible to spec a beige headliner…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts