BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get special tools to do the chain tensioners with?
I have stalled at taking out the jesus bolt. and stabilizing the cams and placing the TDC pin.
I live in Ottawa, Ontario.

·
my first bmw
353 Posts
The special tools is available on ebay.

The jesus bolt it actually nothing biggie if you have the right tool. make sure you remove the radiator and power steering cooler to make room for the impact gun to fit. At least that's what I did.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Bimmer App

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I never dealt with it but every time someone mentions special tools, I put a link in the bestlinks.

Maybe these will help?

How to make your own E39 specialized tools:
- How to make your own BMW cooling system overhaul fan clutch nut counterhold tools (1) (2)
- How to make your own BMW thrust bushing tool (1) or buy them (1) (2) or improvise (1)
- How to make your own BMW car ramps (1)
- How to make your own BMW subframe & differential bushings tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW oxygen sensor removal tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW single-VANOS solonoid socket tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW camber & toe-in alignment tools (1)
- How to make your own BMW hella headlight adjusters (1) (2)
- How to make your own BMW rtab removal tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW upper timing chain locking tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW flywheel locking tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW cylinder head bolt removal tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW cam locking nut tool (1)
- How to make your own BMW crankshaft holder tool (1)
- How to make your own alignment tools to adjust toe-in and camber (1)
etc.

If not, let us know what you end up finding and we'll add THAT to the bestlinks so that every quest has an answer for the next person to start from.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first540
you must have had one big mother of and impact! I have seen other post saying thay used about 1600ft lbs to loosen the bolt.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
It's a sticky at the top of the E39 board page.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I may be dumb but where do i find the best links that you referred to?
As Bobdmac said, it's cleverly hidden as the first link of this forum! :)

At the time of the screenshot below, only about 100K people (views) found it; but now it's up to 133K views ... so ... some people must be locating it even though it's artfully hidden in plain sight!

Here are my recommendations for finding anything that's already there:

All I do, once I'm properly set up, is a quick /keyword(F3) in my browser. In five seconds, hundreds of known topics and answers are at my cut-and-paste beck & call.

For example, to find that tool list above, I simply typed /tool and then F3 until I liked what I found.

1. Click on the VERY best of E39 Links (or, in the E39 wiki common issues): (SEE NOTE 1)
    • Note 1: It's more efficient when you set your Bimmerfest control panel to the maximum number of posts per page so a single search will find what you need. Click on your Bimmerfest "User CP -> Edit Options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page -> 80 -> Save Changes".
  2. Press your operating system "find" hotkey (i.e., "control f" in Windows & Linux & "command f" on the Mac) (SEE NOTE 2)
    • NOTE 2: With Firefox, the slash (/) hotkey, in addition to "control f", does the same search, without the extra overhead.
  3. Type the search term, e.g., "keyword(s)" (sans quotes) & the cursor focus will jump to the first match (SEE NOTE 3)
    • NOTE 3: On Windows & Linux, the "F3" hotkey will jump to the next find; "shift F3" will reverse the find; "enter" will open the current link. If the search fails, the search term will highlight in red.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts