BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Speciality Oil Drain Plugs - bunk?

1603 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  GoForthFast
I was thinking about getting either a magnetic drain plug, or one of those fancy quick drain plugs.

My questions were, 1) the point of the magnetic plug is to catch small bits of metal - but isn't that what the oil filter does?

and 2) is the quick drain plug any good? Has anyone used it? I'm worried it would leak.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
The idea behind a magnetic drain plug is get the metal shavings before they're sucked up by oil pump - the filter is down stream of the oil pump. Never used one though.

A quick change plug seems like a recipe for disaster, merely to save 20 seconds on a task you very infrequently. Even when I drove a car enough to change my oil every couple of months, I still just used a wrench.
I've had a magnetic oil drain plug on my car for years. It collect a really fine metallic dust of which the oil filter may not catch. It's so fine it's like a mud but upon every oil change there is very tiny deposit that I wipe off and it's clean. It's more of an OCD thing than engine saving in my eyes. I believe what the oil filter doesn't catch is so fine that it would take an excessive amount of abuse to create an engine destroying situation.
I had one on my '67 Austin Mini Cooper. I got shavings and metal bits off the magnet on every single oil change.

I think having one on an M54 in a E46 wouldnt hurt anything, but I kind of doubt that it really would make that much difference in a modern engine.
I got 254k miles out of my last bimmer with no magnetic plug, sold the car, engine is still being used by another car. All that said, the ZHP has a magnetic plug. I look at it this way, it can't HURT so why not?
Many automatic transmissions also have magnets in the drain pan. The two magnets in my 1988 528e trans are always coated with a fine metal residue that the filter doesn't catch. It seems to be an effective method of trapping these particles and not allowing them to circulate.
I've had a magnetic oil drain plug on my car for years. It collect a really fine metallic dust of which the oil filter may not catch. It's so fine it's like a mud but upon every oil change there is very tiny deposit that I wipe off and it's clean. It's more of an OCD thing than engine saving in my eyes. I believe what the oil filter doesn't catch is so fine that it would take an excessive amount of abuse to create an engine destroying situation.
Against my better judgement, I ordered the 'quick change' plug, but I thought about getting one of those 'rare earth' magnets and sticking it to the outside of the oil pan, near the plug. Then during oil changes, you pop the magnet off and drain the oil. In theory, any 'sludge' should flush out with the oil change.
That sounds, sound to me!! Go for it. A rare earth magnet should attract even more because of it's strength.
Clever idea with the magnet but the pans aluminum and it wouldn't stick. I really like the idea of a quick drain type plug. I would want the Q/D to be recessed enough to minimize the chances of it being damaged by foreign objects or road debris (read, inadvertent/unscheduled oil drain). I would also safety wire it in the closed position, for the same reason. Good idea, let us know how it works out
Against my better judgement, I ordered the 'quick change' plug, but I thought about getting one of those 'rare earth' magnets and sticking it to the outside of the oil pan, near the plug. Then during oil changes, you pop the magnet off and drain the oil. In theory, any 'sludge' should flush out with the oil change.
You could probably glue the magnet to the aluminum pan :dunno: but the adhesive would have to be heat, water, and solvent resistant. Joining dissimilar metals can be problematic.
Clever idea with the magnet but the pans aluminum and it wouldn't stick. I really like the idea of a quick drain type plug. I would want the Q/D to be recessed enough to minimize the chances of it being damaged by foreign objects or road debris (read, inadvertent/unscheduled oil drain). I would also safety wire it in the closed position, for the same reason. Good idea, let us know how it works out
Yeah. I figured the 'quick drain' was probably some type of ferrous metal and I might just stick the magnet to that. Plus, it would be a good reminder to take the magnet off before the oil change.
You could probably glue the magnet to the aluminum pan :dunno: but the adhesive would have to be heat, water, and solvent resistant. Joining dissimilar metals can be problematic.
Maybe something similar to this? Have to be careful with the oil pan threads though. With the stock setup, the drain plug is hollow, and will shear before pan thread damage can occur. With aftermarket, I suggest using a torque wrench. Note the link below only points to the type of valve to show you an example. I am not sure of the thread size, so you will have to confirm which one is correct for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846
I'm not getting anything Chinese next to my car, much less some Chinese plumbing being the only thing holding in seven quarts of oil that is the lifeblood of my expensive and cherished BMW straight six!

Get a quality oil change valve and I think you're good. But not as good as using a vacuum pump to easily change your oil. Just used mine to change the oil three hours ago.
Yep, I gotta get me one. I keep putting it off, but I really need a mityvac.
Get a quality oil change valve and I think you're good. But not as good as using a vacuum pump to easily change your oil. Just used mine to change the oil three hours ago.
Yeah, that's the one I ordered, but the correct part for BMW is 109.
Maybe something similar to this? Have to be careful with the oil pan threads though. With the stock setup, the drain plug is hollow, and will shear before pan thread damage can occur. With aftermarket, I suggest using a torque wrench. Note the link below only points to the type of valve to show you an example. I am not sure of the thread size, so you will have to confirm which one is correct for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846
Here's a collection: http://boats.wholesalemarine.com/in.../N-16e/Ne-rs?gclid=CN78_9_D9bECFUJx4Aodbj0ATA

And here's the one I've used for six years:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/PEL-PL-6000/
reasonabley priced and compact for storage
Yep, I gotta get me one. I keep putting it off, but I really need a mityvac.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.