BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked and cannot confirm...I know regular "automatic" bmw's have the speed limiter set at 128 mph...but saw on a website listed below on the 540 Msport that even with the automatic, it had the speed limiter set at 155 mph, just like the 6 speed? Is this correct? I have never heard that before.

·
Just a Gigolo
585 Posts
I have an '02 540 m-sport automatic and hit 155 (according to the speedo) for a brief moment of time coming back from vegas. So I can confirm without a doubt no 128mph speedlimter.

On a side note, first time I went to 155 in the 540i and I didn't feel a "hard hit" against a speedlimter... just the car stopped going faster. I've hit speed limiters in other cars and they buck like crazy, not in my car though. :dunno:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I assume the buck is from the car dropping the revs... I've never hit the limiter in my car though, so I don't know HOW it actually limits you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought the electric (drive-by-wire) throttle valve just closed enough to maintain limit speed - no jerks in der beemers!

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny the brochures and OM never mention that....interesting...no matter, I have the Dinan software anyway...

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
roadwarrior687 said:
I've hit speed limiters in other cars and they buck like crazy, not in my car though. :dunno:
Most modern cars have a soft limiter because you don't want bucking at top speed. My '92 Saturn bucked (it'd drop several mph before recovering - I thought I broke something the first time), but all my later cars and trucks just stop accelerating at the limited speed.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,697 Posts
lex89 said:
I thought non of the E39's were drive by wire?
When VANOS was introduced came the drive by wire, IIRC. Rev limiter and speed limiters are different things. For instance, I can tag the rev limiter from the ESS software in 1st and 2nd gear with the wheels spinning near 70mph in second. Of course, the CAR is sideways and only going ab 20mph. :eeps:

I have not tried a top speed run since the SC. I'm scared. :dunno:

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,697 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
Funny the brochures and OM never mention that....interesting...no matter, I have the Dinan software anyway...
With the Dinan software, I achieved this pic and never hit the speed or rev limiter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts