BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked for a thread on this but not even sure if its called this.(unable to get a workshop manual in England) I keep needing to replace the rear left speed sensor as it keeps wearing it out and speedo either dies or goes all over. I know you can replace sensor and space it out slightly to avoid it rubbing(wearing) but it still keeps happening. The ring which the sensor picks its signal up from swells with age(rust) mine is 11yrs old but only 78k miles, yes did try cleaning them, so hense packing them out a bit. I think mine might have swelled out of shape, so my question is how easy is it to change the sender ring. I'm guessing its on the drive shaft CV joint as the sensor is bolted through the trailing arm. I've replaced this sensor 4 times now, first time just fitted it, 2nd time because I thought it was a faulty one, 3rd time, found out about the sender ring swelling with age(rust) so spaced pickup sensor out, now I was getting quick at this, so 4th replacement put tipex on the sensor tip, fitted it, and spun wheel if it touched spaced it, repeated the process untill clear but still having problems with it wearing out, packed it out again yesterday speedo moving about and warning lights came on so not sure if gap too much or sensor too far gone, would getting a drive shaft from a breakers come with the sender ring on, or is it not on this???????

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found them £6.99 on ebay, makes a difference if you know what they're called. Over here what you call a drive shaft we call a prop shaft,(drives the wheels from the gear box) so what is the shaft called what has the CV on the end in america, example over here, hood(bonnet)trunk(boot) I'll have to google a translation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts