1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Speed sensor connector.
No speed indication.
DME gets the speed from the right rear abs sensor.
Ron - If that speed sensor plug got damaged and stop working then the only bad thing happen is no speed indicator right?
" DME gets the speed from the right rear abs sensor " what is this part is about? Do I need to be concerned with it ?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Mcruiser said:
Ron - If that speed sensor plug got damaged and stop working then the only bad thing happen is no speed indicator right?
" DME gets the speed from the right rear abs sensor " what is this part is about? Do I need to be concerned with it ?
The sensor goes to the instrument cluster. The cluster outputs a speed signal that goes to the radio (GAL), hi fi amp, wiper washer module and OBC if you have one. Depending on what year you have it also goes to cruise control or the gauge module. Not sure (would have to look) it may also set the (mileage) delta flag.
Why don't you just fix it? You can purchase the connector and angled pins.
Were you changing the diff? That's how I screwed up mine forgeting to disconnect it.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Would continuing to run with the differential speed sensor unplugged (and the DME continuing to get the speed input from the rt rr wheel) eventually cause enough disparity in the mileage to set off the odometer tamper light?

Previous sentence modeled after dwm's run-on sentence example ;)

Just a question posed when Daniel & I were talking the other night about speedometer calibration. I doubt I have ever driven one of our cars more than 0.7 miles with the differential sensor unplugged (that's once around my neighborhood block, and I've gotten much better at remembering to plug them back in) and that hasn't been enough to trigger the tamper light.

·
Infiltrator!
37 Posts
i have a '97 Z3. the speedometer is very erratic...sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. if it works, the cruise control works fine, but if it doesn't, the cruise doesn't work either. if it doesn't work, the miles don't get racked up either. would this be indicative of a failing sensor on the diff? is that the only sensor i would need to replace? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.