BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Officer states to my son - I didn't say this, but the plate number is wrong on the ticket I wrote. Later my son notes that what should be an 8 is clearly written as a B. He also notes that there is a minor misspelling of this first name and he also notes that his VIN number is off by one digit. The officer also tells him that he must go to court but that the officer does not usually go to court. Officer states that he will need to speak to someone else at the court.

So what's the deal here? Are these three minor issues on the ticket enough to get it dismissed?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I once received a parking ticket in the mail that had my vin listed incorrectly. I was certain they had the wrong guy because I was not parked in that area on the date in question. I contested the ticket by mail, which was one of my options, and lost. This was in Chicago.

You can try to fight it, and maybe you'll win, but they will bleed you dry either through dollars or frustration.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once received a parking ticket in the mail that had my vin listed incorrectly. I was certain they had the wrong guy because I was not parked in that area on the date in question. I contested the ticket by mail, which was one of my options, and lost. This was in Chicago.

You can try to fight it, and maybe you'll win, but they will bleed you dry either through dollars or frustration.
Not so worried about the cash I just want him to avoid the moving violation.

·
Still Stickin' It!
886 Posts
Not so worried about the cash I just want him to avoid the moving violation.
Why? If he earned it (and he'll know) why teach the wrong lesson? Let him pay the cash - not you - and wait out the point expiration on his own license. That's the best help you could give him, rather than teach him how to use a technicality to escape responsibility.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sounds like the officer is leaving a hint that he should fight the ticket. I would if it was me.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
So what's the deal here? Are these three minor issues on the ticket enough to get it dismissed?
As much as I personally like this crowd on Bimmerfest, crowd sourcing is WAY overrated. And even more overrated is crowd wisdom. You wouldn't ask Internet experts if you need to go to ER with acute abdominal pains, that's why MDs go to school for more than a decade for. I would ask an MD in that case.

In your case, I would ask a lawyer. Good luck either way.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
As much as I personally like this crowd on Bimmerfest, crowd sourcing is WAY overrated. And even more overrated is crowd wisdom. You wouldn't ask Internet experts if you need to go to ER with acute abdominal pains, that's why MDs go to school for more than a decade for. I would ask an MD in that case.

In your case, I would ask a lawyer. Good luck either way.
Mark: That is one awesome Cayman!

What are you going to do about your TDI?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Mark: That is one awesome Cayman!

What are you going to do about your TDI?
Thanks!

Good question. Personally, if Government would have just let it be and left owners who want to keep the cars alone to keep them as-is, I would have kept it until wheels fall off.

As it is now, the news of possible proposals for a fix just came in yesterday. Before yesterday, I was going to turn it in this November-ish, collect the money and get a gasoline-powered car and just forget diesel exists until I move out of U.S.

But now, I want to see what the fix is all about, because word on the Strasse is that EPA is going to cut them some slack and allow them to legalize a fix that is only 80-90% compliant because they agreed to pay $2.7 billion into a fund to offset harmful action done with their diesels. This just to make sure people who really believed it was about their health and not about money can now wake up and get real.

So, as of now, I will wait another couple of months, then we will see.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Why? If he earned it (and he'll know) why teach the wrong lesson? Let him pay the cash - not you - and wait out the point expiration on his own license. That's the best help you could give him, rather than teach him how to use a technicality to escape responsibility.
He was speeding, endangering his life and someone else and you want to get him off?
Nice parenting.

·
Registered
715 Posts
He was speeding, endangering his life and someone else and you want to get him off?
Nice parenting.
Whoa escalation. Speeding doesn't necessarily equate to endangering lives. I agree with the sentiments that a parent's instinct should be to build their children's character rather than to weasel them out of the consequences of bad behavior.

However, that is not what the OP asked about.

I think if he contests the ticket he will not get off on the technicalities of typos. He might succeed due to the officer being a no-show on court day.

·
Still Stickin' It!
886 Posts
Nice parenting.
No, I don't...I think we were making similar points about teaching responsibility....perhaps you meant to quote someone else?

·
Registered
126 Posts
In Florida, we pay $69 to the "ticket clinic" and even if you are at fault and the ticket is written correctly, they still get you off. Thats my experience. Btw "ticket clinic" are lawyers and they are really the ones to consult and not a bunch of BMW gear heads. Good luck

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not for nothing the police are rather agressive in our area. They look for anything to pull over young adults. My daughter got stopped for a burned out headlight at dusk while she was on her way home from school so I could do the repair. They stopped my son for an "exhaust noise" issue with a stock exhaust on his 1997 M3. They're looking for other stuff with relatively lame excuses to pull over young adult.

·
Still Stickin' It!
886 Posts
Not for nothing the police are rather agree dive in our area. They look for anything to pull over young adults. My daughter got stopped for a burned out headlight during dusk while she was on her way home from school so I could do the repair. They stopped my son for an "exhaust noise" issue with a stick exhaust on his 1997 M3. They're looking for other stuff with relatively lame excuses to pull over young adult.
This is actually a personal issue, unrelated to this forum about BMW or 2 Series. But, as we're already here, your comments are interesting but not relevant. If you son can look you in the eye, tell you he knows that he was not above the speed limit, and you believe him, fight the ticket with all you've got. Otherwise, teaching him how to skip on a technicality deprives him of a much more important teachable moment about how to grow into a responsible adult. Yes, most of us here will violate the speed limit at some time, and if caught, we own up to the consequences like an adult. Best wishes to both of you.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
The "speed limit" means different things in different places. In Tampa, the posted limit is 70 on the interstates but most folks are doing 80-85 undisturbed. Even in the right lane, most folks are doing at least 75.

On Long Island, the posted limit can be 65 and is closely monitored.

Depends on the location.

I will applaud when the Tampa authorities finally acknowledge reality and change the interstate signs to "80".

I'm from the Judge Judy school. You accept responsibility for doing the wrong thing and never try to blame "the other guy". If you are a parent, you teach your kids to accept responsibility, that they must make proper restitution if called for and do not ever make excuses for them.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
As an attorney I can offer in such instances that the state has the burden of proof, among which is accurately providing the facts of the offense. If part of the stat's proof does not match the information regarding the vehicle...make, model, VIN, license number...that should be grounds for dismissal. The motion to dismiss in such a case would be made by the defending party.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As an attorney I can offer in such instances that the state has the burden of proof, among which is accurately providing the facts of the offense. If part of the stat's proof does not match the information regarding the vehicle...make, model, VIN, license number...that should be grounds for dismissal. The motion to dismiss in such a case would be made by the defending party.
Many thanks. That's what we were thinking. In particular since the office said words to the effect "I never said this, but there's a typo on the ticket".

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If there is a fine he will pay it. He is very responsible. Once in high school he racked up our Audi. Nothing major, just about $1000 of suspension damage due to hitting a curb in a snow storm on the way home from work. Not for nothing, he paid for the repair.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is actually a personal issue, unrelated to this forum about BMW or 2 Series. But, as we're already here, your comments are interesting but not relevant. If you son can look you in the eye, tell you he knows that he was not above the speed limit, and you believe him, fight the ticket with all you've got. Otherwise, teaching him how to skip on a technicality deprives him of a much more important teachable moment about how to grow into a responsible adult. Yes, most of us here will violate the speed limit at some time, and if caught, we own up to the consequences like an adult. Best wishes to both of you.
Dude - you sound like the cleanest living human being on the face of the earth. Please drop the comments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts