BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all hopeping someone can help me. I have a 1998 525i when I bought the car the ABS light was on witch the previous owner told me was because the left front weelspeed sensor was buggered so I thought to myself it's probably not a bad idea to get a folt code reader so I did so upon getting this and running a scan I found out both front weelspeed sensors so I perched a full set of 4 as I don't believe in doing anything by half's. Now I have fitted the new set of weelspeed Senor's and cleared the folt code the ABS light has gone out as it should HOWEVER now that I have done this my speedo has stopped working along with my will to survive :) Can someone please help me before its to late hahahah thanks all for taking the time to help

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did the speedometer work before?

In installing the sensors - maybe one is not in properly. I forget which one is specifically for the speedometer. It could also be that there is some damage on the hub preventing a proper reading; Or, the connection of the sensor to the plastic plug in the little black plastic case has something wrong with it.

·
Wingnut
4,096 Posts
which reader did you get? does it allow live data? seeing live data from each wheel sensor will prove or disprove them individually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the speedometer work before?

In installing the sensors - maybe one is not in properly. I forget which one is specifically for the speedometer. It could also be that there is some damage on the hub preventing a proper reading; Or, the connection of the sensor to the plastic plug in the little black plastic case has something wrong with it.
Yes it worked perfectly

·
Registered
284 Posts
Since you are getting no input from any of the wheel speed sensors are you sure you have the correct sensors?

There are 2 types of wheel speed sensor, one for cars built up to 8/1998 and one for cars built after 8/1998.
They are not interchangeable.

The early type uses an inductive coil and the later ones use a Hall effect sensor to measure wheel speed.
The toothed wheel part is inbuilt into the wheel bearing oil seal

The later type have a blue coloured connector and IIRC the earlier ones use a black connector.

No 7 here for early cars.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DD42-EUR-06-1998-E39-BMW-523i&diagId=31_0255

No 7 here for later cars
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DP62-EUR-06-1999-E39-BMW-528i&diagId=31_0255

With the car jacked up, if you spin each wheel in turn you should get an output speed signal.
The general consensus is to only use BMW or OEM sensors.

Hope this helps
RonR
99 528iT M52TU

1 - 12 of 12 Posts