Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everytime it rains my speedo gets kind of stuck. The dead-stop position will be at 90mph to 120mph. After a few days...maybe after the wet weather, it goes back to normal.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't drive between 90-120mph when it's raining??
I was asking for thoughts. That response involved no thought. At a dead-stop the needle varies netween 90 and 120. When I "drive", the needle easily goes over 160mph.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hazard a guess that it is due to the electronic speedo sender going faulty.
This only happens when it's wet, so something is shorting out from the water and I guess I need to follow the electrical path, starting on the exterior, but I don't know where to start.

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
In the interum, you can purchase an elm327 device (plugs into your OBD II port) and a "torque" app for a total cost of less than $20 and always know exactly how fast you are going through your smart phone...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Deleted

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe this part is faulty.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...003-E85-BMW-Z4_30i&diagId=23_0962#23017507013

I'm no e85 expert, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Okay, so the link didn't work but I used the part number in the link to find the transmission rotational speed sensor. I will take a look at the wiring but I don't think this is the issue as I have no problems with the transmission or engine performance. It appears to be high on the tranny and not likely to get wet.

I will also check the wheel speed sensors.

Thank you for the thought...it got me to thinking about the root-cause.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the interum, you can purchase an elm327 device (plugs into your OBD II port) and a "torque" app for a total cost of less than $20 and always know exactly how fast you are going through your smart phone...
I have a couple bluetooth ODBII adapters and torque pro but I am not so concerned about my speed. Waze, BTW, has a built-in GPS-based speedometer that works pretty well too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When the speedo is stuck in triple digits have you tried light tapping on the cluster face to free the needle? Just wondering if the higher humidity in rainy weather is causing mechanical binding (as the clearances are pretty minute). Removing the cluster is a 5 min job if you want to access the speedo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When the speedo is stuck in triple digits have you tried light tapping on the cluster face to free the needle? Just wondering if the higher humidity in rainy weather is causing mechanical binding (as the clearances are pretty minute). Removing the cluster is a 5 min job if you want to access the speedo.
Yes, I've tried that but the needle isn't stuck in any position, it just starts high, as though it isn't calibrated correctly. I think I tried a calibration routine that moved the needle from left to right a few times when the issue first started...or maybe that was in my other car. This has been an issue since I bought the car. I'll check again if there is a calibration routine I can run the next time it happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I've tried that but the needle isn't stuck in any position, it just starts high, as though it isn't calibrated correctly. I think I tried a calibration routine that moved the needle from left to right a few times when the issue first started...or maybe that was in my other car. This has been an issue since I bought the car. I'll check again if there is a calibration routine I can run the next time it happens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZY90qwgIEY

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts