BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my speedometer is acting up whem im driveing i cant tell what speed im going cause the needle on the goes crazy like whem im barly taking off the the needle in the speedometer is alreay in the 80 mph or sometimes when im driveing the needle just goe all the way down or stays up or sometimes both. my macnhic told my that i had to replace the whole speedometer parts

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
You could have a bad rear differential speed sensor or a poor connection.

The sendsor on my car failed during warranty. By coming to a stop in just the right way, I could make it generate so much noise, it would make the speedometer needle wrap around until it was pointing straight down. I didn't realize the needle could go that far, until it did.

Has your car got an OBC (the information display unit with 18 buttons, no more and no less)?

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
Most likely the problem is at the speed take off at the diff.

I haven't seen the one on my BM yet, but in many many vehicles this is typical of a cog or coupling slipping on the speedo cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i told my dad the problem and he said is the speedometer cable but he wondering do the 93 325 bimmrs have a wire for the speedometer or a chip

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well there is a speedometer sensor somewhere in the differential, and then a cable going the clusters, question is, which cable ?! is it the black/White one ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts