BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next gen 2017 5 series

We catch the next generation 5 series, due out in 2017, lapping the Nurburgring. Details are still scare on what BMW has in store for the next 5er. If the high tech construction and infotainment from the G11/G12 7 series trickle down to the 5 series we're in for a real treat.

Read more about the next gen G11/G12 7 series

next gen 2017 5 series

With weight being the enemy of fuel economy and performance look for a 250lbs plus drop in curb weight while standard features increase. Along with new features and the light weight look for a modest price increase, if nothing else to give the 3 series some price breathing room.

next gen 2017 5 series

·
Happily Driving
7,316 Posts
Dear BMW, just keep the V8 alive!

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,600 Posts
I don't see any big differences.
LOL. Other than the Hofmeister kink and the normal-looking BMW grille, the camouflage is hiding most everything else, body lines, etc. Yeah, looks just like the F10!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I see what looks like dual cameras in the windshield. Other than that, the overhangs look huge.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
LOL. Other than the Hofmeister kink and the normal-looking BMW grille, the camouflage is hiding most everything else, body lines, etc. Yeah, looks just like the F10!
Blow-up the picture on an iPad. There is a mid-door crease that extends from the front fender to the top of the rear wheel arch. The chrome piece that housed the turn signal repeater also seems to be missing; there doesn't seem to be a bulge there.....

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It still looks like fat walrus. I thought they were going to slim it down. The M3 sounds like a good replacement for my f10 now.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Unless you need trunk space........
Absolutely not. The airport shuttle drivers are always amazed at how new and empty my trunk is.

I had an e90 335i before this and I just felt that it was too small and lacked presence, otherwise it was awesome.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Absolutely not. The airport shuttle drivers are always amazed at how new and empty my trunk is.

I had an e90 335i before this and I just felt that it was too small and lacked presence, otherwise it was awesome.
As a retired Air Traffic Controller I don't fly anymore for various reasons. We always drive on our vacations and I need all the trunk space I can get. Then there are the COSTCO runs......

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Unless you need trunk space........
Or a quiet smooth riding luxury sedan that can fit adults in the back seat. M cars get really old as daily drivers after the initial honeymoon period.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Or a quiet smooth riding luxury sedan that can fit adults in the back seat. M cars get really old as daily drivers after the initial honeymoon period.
Yes, this part concerns me the most, along with the need for a V8 engine in a car the size of the F10.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
As a retired Air Traffic Controller I don't fly anymore for various reasons. We always drive on our vacations and I need all the trunk space I can get. Then there are the COSTCO runs......
LOL, care to share your reason(s)? :rofl:

·
Registered
999 Posts
As a frequent flier (100-150k/year up until 2013), the ATC systems are incredibly outdated. In the best case scenario, that means delayed flights due to inability to effectively model weather and manage multiple aircraft getting too close.

In the worst case, that means near-misses (of which there have been many) or collisions.

Does that keep me from flying? No. I can't drive to Dubai.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Too much reliance on the technology, for one. A Southwest pilot nailed it pretty well years ago. He said "they" were turning them into really good secretaries and really lousy pilots. Computers can do many things; flying ain't one of them! Notice the increase in accidents over the last, say, 5-10 years? Pilots are losing the ability to actually fly the aircraft!!!!

Oh.... NEVER fly in an Airbus. The computer has ultimate authority over the pilot; which is why they have a tray table instead of a "steering wheel"!

Then there's the "I know it all and you can't really teach me" attitude of the newbies. I've also noticed a total lack of creativity amongst the video game generation. They expect the same outcome with the same input every time. That works in a VG but rarely works in the dynamic world of ATC! I actually had one of my last 20-something trainees ask me what works every time. I told her not "plugging-in".

I could go on, but....

·
Registered
10,697 Posts

Apparently the F30 trunk is about the same size as the F10's though I've never seen them side by side to do a true comparison. Doesn't quite make sense to me.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
As a frequent flier (100-150k/year up until 2013), the ATC systems are incredibly outdated. In the best case scenario, that means delayed flights due to inability to effectively model weather and manage multiple aircraft getting too close.

In the worst case, that means near-misses (of which there have been many) or collisions.

Does that keep me from flying? No. I can't drive to Dubai.
Ever been in a TRACON? Know the rules (take a gander at the 7110.65)? Ever listened to the frequency? Ever sat and watched a busy time at a major airport? Ever sat in the cockpit?

I had the pleasure of working a TRACON that worked more airplanes per position than any other (LAX, 4 positions, about 2200 daily ops) and the busiest TRACON in the world (Southern California TRACON upwards of 2 million yearly ops). The system is still the best and safest in the world, it's just getting less so with the lack of proficiency from the human element.

I'll take the old raw-radar return any day over the computer generated digitized rubbish any day of the week and twice on Tuesday!! We had (and still do) many, many more false targets with the "advanced" systems and the tracking downright sucks! I can get airplanes pretty close and do it safely.... As long as everyone does what they're told when they're told.

Weather will ALWAYS be a problem. Even now they are trying to develop a reliable, accurate way to display weather that will actually be of help. They have been since weather became an issue to navigation.

You're right, can't drive everywhere. Given the option, I'll drive.

Sorry for the rabbit trail..... I'll stop now and return to the regularly scheduled topic......

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Apparently the F30 trunk is about the same size as the F10's though I've never seen them side by side to do a true comparison. Doesn't quite make sense to me.
I had a loaner 328 a few weeks ago and peeked into the trunk. Compared to my 535 that thing was pretty small; narrower and not near as deep. I would be hard pressed to get 3 suitcases in there; and I can do some origami.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.