BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
next gen BMW 5 Series g30

We spotted the new BMW 5 Series with less camouflage than ever before revealing most of the M Sport front bumper for the first time. The current thinking has the G30 5 Series introduced at the Paris Auto show in October. We know F10 production ends in Dingolfing this October, the 5 Series G30 production will be split between the BMW factory in Dingolfing and the Magna Steyr factory in Austria.

The G30 will be built on BMW's new modular platform using the new B series engines (except possibly for the 550 which if offered will be a variant it the current N63tu). Expected engine variants include:

• 530i 4 cylinder
  • 540i 6 cylinder
  • 550i 8 cylinder (if there is a non-M 8 cylinder)
  • A couple of diesels (530d & 540d?). Maybe the 550d finally comes to,the U.S. ?
  • A plug-in hybrid

2017 BMW G30 5 Series rendering
Rendering from Omni Auto

Availability in the U.S. is rumored to be first quarter of 2017, but if BMW follows the pattern laid out by the F10 launch, the second model year will be available in the U.S. which would mean a 2018 model arriving sometime in 2017, and the 2017 model would be a short run of F10's built from July to October. Given that they have two factories building the G30, it seems like the 2017 G30 would be launched in the U.S. (h/t to Bimmerfest member Sonicendeavor for the details)

The most obvious an interesting feature of the G30 pictures is the M Sport Package that makes the car look even better and sportier with a more aggressive front bumper, wider side sills and nice looking M wheels.

We also spotted the G30 5 Series M5 recently

The regular front bumper as seen in one photo is not making anyone raising their eyebrows. Maybe that will change when all the camouflage is removed.

We also got a chance to snap some interior pictures of the new 5 series. The shifter and must of the technology will come directly out of the G12 7 Series. The iPad on the dash design continue and the screen has grown to 7 Series sizing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That iPad might be what keeps me out of one of these in the future. Looks like a Mazda 3 display.
Then go Audi or Mercedes C Class... Wait they have the same displays too. At least BMW screens look better. Mercedes new E-Class does not have the popup like display and I think it already looks dated and old.

Guess I will stick with BMW... Because they are amazing vehicles.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Man, that shade of black REALLY shows the dust. :beerchug:

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
Gah, I hope they don't wait until next year to release it in the US. I have to buy something NLT November 2016...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
They can't be serious about the seam where the hood meets the front fascia, can they?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Then go Audi or Mercedes C Class... Wait they have the same displays too. At least BMW screens look better. Mercedes new E-Class does not have the popup like display and I think it already looks dated and old.

Guess I will stick with BMW... Because they are amazing vehicles.
This is clearly a evolutionary design. I saw and sat in the new E Class as the auto show last week. While the interior was pretty nice, the exterior was blah, and also a very minor evolutionary update. Let's not even talk about Audi, which has about the blandest designs around.

I've also driven the new 7. I was disliking the pop up design before seeing it in person, but it actually works out pretty well. The intent is to get the screen as high as possible without raising the dash any further.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The hood line? You think that looks worse then the F10/F30 mid hood line?
The F10 line where the hood meets the front fascia is straight. This one has some odd curves, a couple of arches and a little beak in the middle. Really strange looking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think this looks amazing - especially the front. My only concern is around the tail lights - I hop they don't look like the set on the new 7 series. It is my least liked element of the car. Getting excited big time as I am looking to upgrade to a 550 in June of 2017 when my current 535 lease is up.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had a 2016 328i x-drive as a loaner while my F10 was in for warranty and maintenance work.
The i-Drive iPod design looked a lot like the one in this car. It was OK but my wife and I both liked the existing set-up with the inset look and the lack of glare. The pictured setup and the 3 Series looks like it will unclip (maybe for easy replacement--LOL). Glare could be a big problem. To us, it didn't seem to be a clean, integrated design.
However, it won't stop us from buying the G30 since other makes have similar setups.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The F10 line where the hood meets the front fascia is straight. This one has some odd curves, a couple of arches and a little beak in the middle. Really strange looking.
That "beak" as you politely call it is super weird. I don't open my hood that often, but when I do, I would hate to have to worry about that thing

·
Registered
237 Posts
Evolution is hard for current owners to accept and usually we are like children to "hate the new car!"
I despised the Bangle created E60 as it was like no other. Then one day it hit my eye and I had to have one. I was driving an audi at the time.
Audi Big mouth Bass look also created emotions.

One day we wake up and our beloved F10 is not the mac-daddy it was. Our Type A personalities defy acceptance until the lease is up. If we are making payments we can tell our wifes "Hey, I got the new 5 and our payments are only $50 more a month!!!
Don't say "I went out 4 more years!!!!!".

Then we'll want to wait until the LCI comes out as we want the latest and greatest!!!

Me, I'll wait until they work the bugs out and buy one after they take a 40% depreciation hit and the car is at 30,000 miles. Best year is year three usually. Before an LCI. Currently that's the 2013. So basically Im looking at 6 years until I get my next car.
So Im going to sit back and enjoy the new style and render my judgement when I see one in person. The new LED dash designs are very exciting!!!!

Bottom line is be happy with what ever you spend your hard earned money on. If you don't work hard for it, then spend it foolishly!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It looks like the 5 series will continue to look like a baby 7 series with the chrome going across the tail lights, the headlights connecting to the grille and maybe even the hockey stick on the side. I like evolutionary designs as much as the next guy, but this is getting a bit old.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
This is clearly a evolutionary design. I saw and sat in the new E Class as the auto show last week. While the interior was pretty nice, the exterior was blah, and also a very minor evolutionary update. Let's not even talk about Audi, which has about the blandest designs around.

I've also driven the new 7. I was disliking the pop up design before seeing it in person, but it actually works out pretty well. The intent is to get the screen as high as possible without raising the dash any further.
The screen and the resolution is stunningly beautiful in my wife's 2016 X5. I almost bought a new x6 because of it.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It looks like the 5 series will continue to look like a baby 7 series with the chrome going across the tail lights, the headlights connecting to the grille and maybe even the hockey stick on the side. I like evolutionary designs as much as the next guy, but this is getting a bit old.
At the 7 series unveiling event, I as told that they stopped selling the short 7 series in the US because that's what the 5 series is for.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The screen and the resolution is stunningly beautiful in my wife's 2016 X5. I almost bought a new x6 because of it.
It would be nice to have the rear and top views available at the same time, as the wider screens seem to allow

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.