BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning while getting out of the car to fuel up with Shell V Power, my trailing foot hit the freaking drink holder knocking a 1/2 can of soda all over the dash and floor Do BMW engineers have any ergonomic or functional design skills? Too much focus on just making things go fast imo... :mad:

Still loving the car - 1,500km now - M post breakin service will be scheduled for next week - I can't wait to hit the redline!

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I removed the cup holders from my 3er. I can pretty much guarantee that no one will be drinking anything but water in the M Coupe.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Caddyshk said:
Do BMW engineers have any ergonomic or functional design skills? Too much focus on just making things go fast imo... :mad:
My theory is that they do this on purpose. Cupholders are an American thing, and most Europeans hate the idea of them. I think the BMW engineers design them to be crappy to discourage a practice they disapprove of - they're too good for any other explanation to make sense!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
epbrown said:
My theory is that they do this on purpose. Cupholders are an American thing, and most Europeans hate the idea of them. I think the BMW engineers design them to be crappy to discourage a practice they disapprove of - they're too good for any other explanation to make sense!
Is that why the glove box and door storage is useless. Is that why the rear storage is not available when driving. Is that why when you release the handbrake, the signal flashers go on.
Based on a post by Hack on another forum, I will be removing the useless cup holders and replace them with the blank that he mentioned, for other things.

I would like a solution to hold a pepsi. The BMW accessory fixes don't work just like the stock ones. Working on a solution hoping to get someone else we know to do it.

So the interior ingineers are obviously not driving the cars that they design things for.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Caddyshk said:
Still loving the car - 1,500km now - M post breakin service will be scheduled for next week - I can't wait to hit the redline!
Does your car have the air bag stickers on your cars visors?
Bulletin I saw mentioned only on US and Canada cars.
Just checking.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Does your car have the air bag stickers on your cars visors?
Bulletin I saw mentioned only on US and Canada cars.
Just checking.
Yup - Wife was questioning why we can't just remove them on the weekend - appear to be designed/applied in such a way that you would make one hell of a mess trying to take them off...

Db

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Is that why the glove box and door storage is useless. Is that why the rear storage is not available when driving. Is that why when you release the handbrake, the signal flashers go on.
Based on a post by Hack on another forum, I will be removing the useless cup holders and replace them with the blank that he mentioned, for other things.

I would like a solution to hold a pepsi. The BMW accessory fixes don't work just like the stock ones. Working on a solution hoping to get someone else we know to do it.

So the interior ingineers are obviously not driving the cars that they design things for.
Where do they expect you to put the leather owners package (won't fit in glove box, rear storage or side door storage)? Mine is under the seat - won't fit anywhere else thats not obvious... Might just as well rip the interior out, install a cage and use this thing for what it was intended for...:D

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Is that why the glove box and door storage is useless.
The only bright side is that if I ever get pulled over for a traffic stop, it will be real easy to find my registration. Since nothing else will fit, it's the only postage-stamp sized piece of origami in the glovebox! :(

Caddyshk said:
Where do they expect you to put the leather owners package (won't fit in glove box, rear storage or side door storage)? Mine is under the seat - won't fit anywhere else thats not obvious...
Two months in and my owner's manual is still sitting on the kitchen counter by the door to the garage. Wife asked me last week "why isn't this in your car?". I replied that she should go out to the garage and figure out where to put it (in a nice tone of voice of course!). She then mumbled something about buying a 60K car where they could not design a spot big enough to put the manuals. I then mumbled something back about how I'm supposed to spend my time in the car driving, not reading.....

So, I now have owner's manual and a set of 4 t-hooks in need of a storage spot within the vehicle. Ideally, I also have a wheel chock and breaker bar that I would like to stow. I tried before to put the manual under the seat, but it slid around too much, spewing its contents around. Would be curious to know how you got yours to stay put. Has anyone come up with storage ideas for the relatively empty area under the hood, on the engine exhaust side by the firewall? I'm also thinking of the trunk lid storage pouch accessory, but would like to know if it is big enough to at least hold the user manual?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DaveZ said:
Would be curious to know how you got yours to stay put
Slides around under there...

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Caddyshk said:
Where do they expect you to put the leather owners package (won't fit in glove box, rear storage or side door storage)?
I bought the underseat first aid kit boxes for my E46 (they also fit the Z4) from LeatherZ in the hopes that I could stash my owner's manual package in one, but alas, they're too small...:cry:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put my owner's packet in the net space on driver's side rear compartment. Kind of fits if you put in till it bottoms out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine are sitting inside the house in my office.

I realize that this doesn't make the car go fast or anything but the whole bluetooth phone thing is totally cool. Of course, cool to a geeky guy like me is probably a slightly different definition than for other "more normal" people. :)

conor

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ron Stygar said:

I was actually kind of joking above. Typically I've found that such things are intuitive - when you think like the engineer that designed them. The Z4 is built in the US, but it is designed for countries where people regularly drive at triple-digit speeds, which requires concentration levels we have, for the most part, abandoned in the United States. The interior designer apparently thought the driver would be focused on driving - not drinking, not fumbling about in the console or glovebox looking for CDs or cassettes, or reading the owner's manual.

All of the accessibility issues we cite can be dismissed with one thought - they were designed to be accessed when the car is parked. The trunk, the console, the glove box - heck, even the door pockets are difficult to reach when the door is closed. After all, why would you need access to them while driving? Your hands would both be on the wheel, yes?

The glove box doesn't hold a lot of crap, but it will quite handily hold a pair of leather driving gloves, lined or unlined, which is what it is supposed to do. It also does well with road maps, in my experience, as long as they're folded properly. The owner's manual and accompanying docs are supposed to go in the trunk, next to the battery (at least on the Z4 roadster). There's a slot for them.

Someone over on Z4um (I think it was) told me the trick about the cupholders - they don't hold cups, they hold bottles. Something about a tapered container (like your typical 7-11 or Starbucks cup) makes them wiggle free within minutes - a straight-sided water bottle stayed put in mine for 400 miles, the first time it has ever successfully held a beverage (I find remnants of triple grande white mocha to this day, from the previous attempt to use them, on September 17th of last year). Such containers invariably have caps, so even if they did fall out they wouldn't spill and soil the interior, distracting the driver. And sure it's hard to get out of the car with something in the cupholder - to their thinking, you'd be taking the beverage with you, to consume outside the car or dispose of the container.

The door-pockets, as far as I can tell, will hold only one thing securely - a somewhat thin, cylindrical object, like a BMW (or similarly compact) umbrella. You open the door, remove umbrella, open, and disembark. You get in, close it, replace - there's even a little drain hole so it won't get the interior damp as it dries.

BMWs have always had a reputation for driver focus - they haven't lost that. When did we lose ours?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JonM said:
We would be interested in modifying our Mk4 Z4 armrest to add cupholders. If anyone wants to discuss at HC some design concepts, stop by the tent.
You were the someone else we know.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Caddyshk said:
Where do they expect you to put the leather owners package (won't fit in glove box, rear storage or side door storage)? Mine is under the seat - won't fit anywhere else thats not obvious... Might just as well rip the interior out, install a cage and use this thing for what it was intended for...:D
Mine is in the trunk but prefer it in the cockpit.
Added a socket above the power socket for the Porsche torch but don't like the look.
Should have put it below the power socket. Will do it over this Winter.

Attachments

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Mine is in the trunk but prefer it in the cockpit.
Good idea (as always!) on the velcro Ron. I'll be doing that this afternoon. The M Roadster has similar little wells at each side of the trunk and that is exactly where I first tried to stow the manuals. Of course, I promptly ended up with the contents spewed all over the trunk after the first ride. In addition to the velcro closures, you've given me the idea to test whether velcro on the back of the leather case would allow it to adhere to the liner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts