BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a headlight burned out, took it in for that and the free wash, they also added on some brake flush I didn't ask for, they said was due, all free.

Was going swimmingly until they told me I need new tires, especially on the back. They even noted on the paperwork that they were unsafe: worn down to 1mm tread depth (they start at 9). I think they offered to replace all 4 for something like $1500, don't remember clearly, shock set in.. :yikes:

Took the X3 over to Sears, they've proven themselves especially trustworthy to me a couple times now. I figured the Pirelli sign on the wall was a good indication. They agreed I need new rear ones, but can't get Pirellis anymore. :mad:

Just looked it up online, looks like about the best I could do on two Pirelli PZero 255/40R19 96W tires is about $600.

So my question is, is it reasonable to have to replace tires at 21,000 miles? I could see it in something like an M3, but I was figuring these would last a hell of a lot longer than that! I guess when everybody in here talks about their great Pirellis lasting to 75k miles they mean the stock 18" ones???

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
is it reasonable to have to replace tires at 21,000 miles?
I guess when everybody in here talks about their great Pirellis lasting to 75k miles they mean the stock 18" ones???[/B]
The stock Pirelli is the Scorpion 235/55-17, (NA market) 62k miles now on mine and they look like can give me 12-15k more.

Definetely 21k miles doesen't sound right, What tires are those? Are there not Scorpions on 19" ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're the PZero, quoted the exact replacement:
Pirelli PZero 255/40R19 96W (non-runflat).

Just did a forum search and I can't find any conversations about their longevity but have found that (different sized) fronts can be even harder to replace. I'm not sure what BMW was thinking when they put staggered tires on an X3, but I guess that's the price of the M logo in the door sills.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
That's about right for high performance summer tyres. The Bridgestone Potenzas on the 3ers last around 20k miles as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
P zeros on a plus four thousand pound all wheel drive vehicle. I would say your doing fine. You can switch to a tire with a higher tread wear rating than the 220 on P zeros.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I would say your doing fine. You can switch to a tire with a higher tread wear rating than the 220 on P zeros.
I would agree that 20k is about right for high performance tires.

And if you switch to another tire, I recommend you do front and rear -- keeping all four the same brand/model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stock tire on my X3 were Bridgestone Turanza's which lasted 16k. Just had Perilli Scorpions installed and after a couple hundred miles are doing fine. I figure I have two options. A. drive like a madman and maybe replace these next year. B. Drive my BMW like my grandmother and enjoy longer tire life. Tough choice!
In regards to your dilemma, I would definitely replace all 4 tires at the same time. Being that the last set wore out so quickly (or at least two of the four) maybe a tire rotation at 5k instead of 9k would help out their longevity. JMO.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Stock tire on my X3 were Bridgestone Turanza's which lasted 16k. Just had Perilli Scorpions installed and after a couple hundred miles are doing fine. I figure I have two options. A. drive like a madman and maybe replace these next year. B. Drive my BMW like my grandmother and enjoy longer tire life. Tough choice!
In regards to your dilemma, I would definitely replace all 4 tires at the same time. Being that the last set wore out so quickly (or at least two of the four) maybe a tire rotation at 5k instead of 9k would help out their longevity. JMO.
Because they're staggered rotation isn't really an option.

For now I'm leaning towards replacing the rear with the exact same, and seeing how long the fronts last. Maybe they'll make it 'till the rears are worn out again and then I'll look at my options for all 4. Maybe the higher-life Scorpions, IF there's a set that fits on my rims.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Sports (got about 24K out of them). There is no way I am going to get another 20 thousand miles out of the fronts. There is just not enough tread left. I am thinking of swapping out all 4.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Can't say much for high performance Pirelli's on the BMW's but had to replace GT + 4's on my Porsche about every 25k.

Would have to say I would still have used the Pirelli's with what I know now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had a headlight burned out, took it in for that and the free wash, they also added on some brake flush I didn't ask for, they said was due, all free.

Was going swimmingly until they told me I need new tires, especially on the back. They even noted on the paperwork that they were unsafe: worn down to 1mm tread depth (they start at 9). I think they offered to replace all 4 for something like $1500, don't remember clearly, shock set in.. :yikes:

Took the X3 over to Sears, they've proven themselves especially trustworthy to me a couple times now. I figured the Pirelli sign on the wall was a good indication. They agreed I need new rear ones, but can't get Pirellis anymore. :mad:

Just looked it up online, looks like about the best I could do on two Pirelli PZero 255/40R19 96W tires is about $600.

So my question is, is it reasonable to have to replace tires at 21,000 miles? I could see it in something like an M3, but I was figuring these would last a hell of a lot longer than that! I guess when everybody in here talks about their great Pirellis lasting to 75k miles they mean the stock 18" ones???
I just paid $1400 for four P Zero Rosso's. They are expensive and I only expect about 22 to 25 k out of them. I had the 18 inch Michelins and the car handled nicely, but I have to say the improvement in handling and steering response was worth the swap. so far I have not noticed and degradation in ride quality or an increase in cabin noise either. When you say that Sears said that they cannot get them anymore, were they implying that they are discontinued?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say that Sears said that they cannot get them anymore, were they implying that they are discontinued?
No, just that according to them they cant order any Pirellis in.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Umm, yeah! It's just about the only touchless I know of in my area and a machine that routinely washes brand new $100k+ BMWs is certainly good enough for me.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Wow, they have a touchless carwash? Here they have a couple of guys with dirty rags.....they are swirl experts though!
Anyhow, I really trust myself more ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's about right for high performance summer tyres. The Bridgestone Potenzas on the 3ers last around 20k miles as well.
Boy that is the truth. I got to 20K exactly they they all fell apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our factory-installed mixed tyres (Continentals, I think) have also worn out after only 25,000kms! After research, we realised they put on runflats, so are now scouting around to find something that costs less than US $1200 to replace (we're in the Philippines). I'm shocked at the short lifespan of tyres for this car! I am used a car getting 40,000-60,000kms plus per set. We may be limited by availability of product in this country. Good luck with you. The only saving grace is that I'm learning we're not the only ones who have had to replace tyres after a ridiculously short amount of time!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Our factory-installed mixed tyres (Continentals, I think) have also worn out after only 25,000kms! After research, we realised they put on runflats, so are now scouting around to find something that costs less than US $1200 to replace (we're in the Philippines). I'm shocked at the short lifespan of tyres for this car! I am used a car getting 40,000-60,000kms plus per set. We may be limited by availability of product in this country. Good luck with you. The only saving grace is that I'm learning we're not the only ones who have had to replace tyres after a ridiculously short amount of time!
One of the little side benefits of BMW, I am afraid. I think BMW very consciously biases the engineering decisions in favor of handling prowess, even at the expense of cost or increased tire wear or whatever.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sounds like you did pretty well to get 20K. A colleague was complaining after only getting 17K to 18K out of his.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts