BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Sport mode upshifts later and downshifts earlier.

It's also more likely to start in first gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you talking about the 2 modes for the STEPTRONIC? I've only test drove a couple 330 coupes and am awaiting my ED. How do you switch from "regular driving" mode to "sport" mode? I've only read about this option and would love to learn more about it.

Thanks.
Marc

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
bimmerman11 said:
Are you talking about the 2 modes for the STEPTRONIC? I've only test drove a couple 330 coupes and am awaiting my ED. How do you switch from "regular driving" mode to "sport" mode? I've only read about this option and would love to learn more about it.
Move the gear lever to the left for "S D" (sport), and keep it to the right for "D" (normal). In "S D" mode, push forward (or back) for manual mode. To get it out of manual mode, pop it over to the right again for "D" (normal).

"S D" mode prefers lower gears... it is more eager to downshift to a lower gear, and typically starts in 1st gear. "D" mode upshifts earlier, typically starts in 2nd gear (although can be made to start in 1st gear).

In "S D" mode, you also tend to hang in the same gear if you let off the gas abruptly and get back on the gas again. In "D" mode, the car will likely upshift, and then will hunt for a downshift again.

·
10,856 Posts
Al! That car is filthy!

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Al! That car is filthy!
Hey in my defense, that pic was from Jan 23rd, and it was the first time my Blizzaks got a real workout. :D

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
alee said:
Careful, some newbie might take that to heart and wonder why S03s in the Mud/Snow setting doesn't work. :angel:
Hehe...there's some regulars here (well, at least one) who wonders why S03 and snow don't mix with his *ick325xiT_5spd. :lmao:

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
Move the gear lever to the left for "S D" (sport), and keep it to the right for "D" (normal). In "S D" mode, push forward (or back) for manual mode. To get it out of manual mode, pop it over to the right again for "D" (normal).

"S D" mode prefers lower gears... it is more eager to downshift to a lower gear, and typically starts in 1st gear. "D" mode upshifts earlier, typically starts in 2nd gear (although can be made to start in 1st gear).

In "S D" mode, you also tend to hang in the same gear if you let off the gas abruptly and get back on the gas again. In "D" mode, the car will likely upshift, and then will hunt for a downshift again.

... and in "S D" mode it will not upshift to 5th gear.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
F1Crazy said:
... and in "S D" mode it will not upshift to 5th gear.
Actually it will, but you have to be going highway speeds.

The transmission is adaptive, so if you drive aggressively in SD or D, it will start locking out gears (like 5th) and will start in 1st even in D mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts