BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping all revs under 4500 and speed less than 100mph as advised in my manual. Just 1 slip-up where I couldn't contain myself and may have rev'd higher :tsk: I have mostly been driving in regular D mode, however, I just realized that I confused "kickdown mode" with using Manual DCT. I am going to start using the manual mode more often now :thumbup:.

About 800 miles into my 1200 mile break-in on my new 2012 335is. I recently read up on the golf tee mod and found the cable in the trunk that will disconnect the flaps from closing in the exhausts.

Do you guys think there will be any harm in enabling the golf tee mod this early? Any harm in using sport mode this early?

· Registered
1,588 Posts
I am keeping all revs under 4500 and speed less than 100mph as advised in my manual. Just 1 slip-up where I couldn't contain myself and may have rev'd higher :tsk: I have mostly been driving in regular D mode, however, I just realized that I confused "kickdown mode" with using Manual DCT. I am going to start using the manual mode more often now :thumbup:.

About 800 miles into my 1200 mile break-in on my new 2012 335is. I recently read up on the golf tee mod and found the cable in the trunk that will disconnect the flaps from closing in the exhausts.

Do you guys think there will be any harm in enabling the golf tee mod this early? Any harm in using sport mode this early?
No harm whatsoever. The flap is just there to quiet the exhaust down during cruising. I've disconnected this on the E90 and had it disconnected on my E46 for close to 5 years.

· Registered
463 Posts

I thought the golf tee mod only mattered for Canadian models?

"Sports mode" has nothing to do with break in. Just keep your RPMs in the prescribed range*

*Or alternately, ignore that too. I've heard several mechanics say that modern engines don't really have much need for break in, and can be driven pretty vigorously from day 1. And I've never heard of anyone breaking an engine due to overexertion during breakin. Obviously I'm not saying you should ignore your car manual, but don't be terrified to push it a little here and there.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have just completed my 1200 mile break-in on my 335is coupe, and the car seems to get faster every day. I'm considering the golf tee mod because I'm addicted to this new exhaust note after several years w/ my 335is sedan. Does anyone think/ know if this mod makes the exhaust note louder from idle to WOT or is it just around idle or...?

· Registered
1,196 Posts
I have just completed my 1200 mile break-in on my 335is coupe, and the car seems to get faster every day. I'm considering the golf tee mod because I'm addicted to this new exhaust note after several years w/ my 335is sedan. Does anyone think/ know if this mod makes the exhaust note louder from idle to WOT or is it just around idle or...?
FYI, some have reported a loss of low end torque with this tweak, going through the trunk and disconnecting the cable. Not sure if this applies to pinching the line though? Let us know if you feel any difference.

· 2020 Z4 M40i
4,639 Posts
Makes more noise at idle & low speed up to the time the flap would have opened then its the same as without the unit being unplugged. No difference between pinching/blocking the hose & pulling the plug. Doing the plug is easy & clean.

With the JB4 you can set the flap open with it plugged in & unblocked.

No effect on low end torque just takes a little longer for the cats to heat. Not really noticeable except for the sound.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Makes more noise at idle & low speed up to the time the flap would have opened then its the same as without the unit being unplugged. No difference between pinching/blocking the hose & pulling the plug. Doing the plug is easy & clean.

With the JB4 you can set the flap open with it plugged in & unblocked.

No effect on low end torque just takes a little longer for the cats to heat. Not really noticeable except for the sound.
It does sound louder at cold start up but then settles down to near stock levels after warm up. In terms of open/closed, I've found it's closed when the car is cold and open after warm up, at least that's how it is for my e92.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the mod and honestly, I did not like it much, so I reverted the mod. I prefer the stock way with the flap to open/close. Only thing I hear as the driver is drone anyhow, maybe it sounds better from the outside, but I don't care too much about that :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I don't know I am so torn on this.. Now I miss the exhaust notes in the low revs with the mod on! Haha, I may be switching back and forth on this.. With how easy the mod is to turn on/off, shouldn't be a problem :) Loving my car!!!

· ///Multiple
4,586 Posts
I tried the mod and honestly, I did not like it much, so I reverted the mod. I prefer the stock way with the flap to open/close. Only thing I hear as the driver is drone anyhow, maybe it sounds better from the outside, but I don't care too much about that :)
After redelivery of our 335i2 the exahust was so loud on start-up in the garage that we were afraid that the neighbors would complain when my wife started the car and left for work in the morning. The car was also showing a fault and when we took it in they said that the flapper valve solenoid wasn't working so they replaced it. The car has much quieter on start-up since then.

It's pretty likely that due to the normally loud nature of the sport exhaust on the 335is that with the exhaust flapper valve open at start-up it's much louder than a standard 335i with the "golf-tee mod". We both like a good exhaust note but we found that this was obnoxiously loud. We much prefer the stock start-up method. And our neighbors are happier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.