Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, maybe I'm just an idiot, but I found out today that pushing the sport button does not put the transmission into sport mode, that has to be done by moving the shift lever over. I had no idea, I thought that was only for manual mode, and had moved it over so that when I started using the flappy paddles, it wouldn't revert to drive after a time like some cars do. But then the right dial switched from having a D in the middle to S2 and I realized the transmission was holding gears longer and kicking down much easier. Seems to be a quirk on some cars, but it's been a while since I have seen it. I figured I wasn't the only one who didn't know this, it's something a person might not even question if it wasn't brought up.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
You can set this to do both via Sport Individual

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can set this to do both via Sport Individual
I did confirm this, kind of. I have always had it set to sport individual with the transmission in sport, however, it's not as responsive as when I move the lever over. I don't know why. Also, the dial says D when in just sport mode, even with the transmission set to be in sport, but when you move the lever over, it switches from D to S(1-8). With the sport setting, it really doesn't feel much different than comfort, but moving the lever over makes a marked difference in behavior.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Which version of the G30 do you folks have? I have a 2018 M550i, and when I have the car set in Sport Plus it most definitely holds in gears and down shifts more aggressively than when in Comfort.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 2017 530i. It does not have a sport plus option. I get the sense it is more sporty when I just use the sport button, but not nearly as much as when I move the lever over. Perhaps in my car without the sport plus option, moving the lever over matches what would be the sport plus programming and the one for the individual settings is just the standard sport.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Which version of the G30 do you folks have? I have a 2018 M550i, and when I have the car set in Sport Plus it most definitely holds in gears and down shifts more aggressively than when in Comfort.
See chart below (from the f30 forum). The findings can be extrapolated over to other BMW models that have the driving experience modes (Eco-Pro/Comfort/Comfort+/Sport/Sport+/etc) and the gear shift lever that can be moved over into the S/M (sport/manual) gate. The most extreme sport modes are entered by not only selecting the driving experience SPORT/SPORT+ mode...but also by moving the gear shift lever over into the “S” gate:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See chart below (from the f30 forum). The findings can be extrapolated over to other BMW models that have the driving experience modes (Eco-Pro/Comfort/Comfort+/Sport/Sport+/etc) and the gear shift lever that can be moved over into the S/M (sport/manual) gate. The most extreme sport modes are entered by not only selecting the driving experience SPORT/SPORT+ mode...but also by moving the gear shift lever over into the “S” gate
Thank you for that, it actually explains my experience perfectly! My car never came with that manual, just two of the warranty packets for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts