·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does the sport mode button do? I am not sure? thanks guys!:dunno:

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Discussed ad nauseam in previous threads Recommend search for sport mode. But from the MANUAL here is their quote:

"Dynamic Driving Control
The Dynamic Driving Control makes it possible
for your BMW to react in an even more performance-
oriented manner at the push of a button:
> The engine responds more spontaneously
to accelerator pedal movements.
> Cruise control:
The stored speed is reached more quickly
when it is request"

If u had STEP or SMG there would be additional enhancements

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Moving the stick from center to left (DS mode) allows you to shift manually, it hunkers down the suspension, and it changes the shifting points a little bit. When you press the sport button, that's supposed to make your shifts faster and at higher RPMs. The accelerator pedal is a bit more twitchy. Supposedly, it adds to the dynamism of the DS mode. At least, that's the conventional wisdom posted here by such as M (Beewang) and the Prince of Electrons (Cobradav).

But, the owner's manual says that when you press that little button it does everything for you except allow you to shift on your own.

I've tried to feel the difference via "seat of the pants" testing, but I can't tell any difference. So next week when I am having the driver's experience, I will ask.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, it might not matter too much in a manual transmission? Am I correct with that?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malibubimmer said:
I forgot, as Steve645 writes, that you are "one of the few, the proud, the manuals." Beats the hell out of me.
It definately adds to the driving experience! We are the few, the proud.... (it is also so my wife won't drive it!!! don't tell her I told you!):D

·
Registered
235 Posts
jg59 said:
so, it might not matter too much in a manual transmission? Am I correct with that?
yes, the only changes that occur with a manual are the suspension and response fron the accelerator pedal. Its always in sports mode for me.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have the steptronic. Even when just pressing the Sport button on its own, without any other setting changes, the car dramatically changes its "behaviour". Throttle response is sharper, more challenging to regulate a smooth acceleration (that's the fun, sporty feel) and I think it goes faster. Revvs much harder and stays in lower gears longer.

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
sgv said:
yes, the only changes that occur with a manual are the suspension and response fron the accelerator pedal. Its always in sports mode for me.
:confused: ...the sport button only effects pedal response and shift points on auto trans, no suspension changes, only the M6 has that feature....:thumbup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Now that i have my 6er w/Step, along with the other characteristics described, the Sport mode also holds the revs longer when upshifting and when decelerating, it down shifts sooner, keeping the revs up and in the power band on its way down. You also lose 6th gear. I hope it makes sense. It will pull hard from 3500 to redline (close to 7000).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Now that i have my 6er w/Step, along with the other characteristics described, the Sport mode also holds the revs longer when upshifting and when decelerating, it down shifts sooner, keeping the revs up and in the power band on its way down. You also lose 6th gear. I hope it makes sense. It will pull hard from 3500 to redline (close to 7000).

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Does all things good in my SMG.:D

Faster throttle response.
Warp drive.
Break pads and discs change to ceramic.
Spy shades appear.
Driving gloves are placed on my hands.
Top drops automatically.
80's music queues up.

And it's on, who want some!:spank:

·
Registered
427 Posts
From the instructors at the driving school:

DS mode (moving the stick to the left) raises the shift points.
Sport button makes the electronic throttle control more sensitive.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Southern6er said:

:stupid:

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Southern6er said:

Agree but would add that Sport button does the same as moving the stick to the left (DS) as far as the shift points are concerned in addition to the more sensitive throttle. I generally operate out of DS and Sport just due to the fact that I can quickly use STEP mode (manual shift) if already in DS.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
cobradav said:
Agree but would add that Sport button does the same as moving the stick to the left (DS) as far as the shift points are concerned in addition to the more sensitive throttle. I generally operate out of DS and Sport just due to the fact that I can quickly use STEP mode (manual shift) if already in DS.
CD - when you say that you generally operate "out of DS and Sport" do you mean that you generally have the shifter to the left and the sport button engaged or that you generally are "out of" or NOT in DS+Sport mode? My preferred driving mode is shifter to the left (DS) and Sport mode off.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Boxboss said:
CD - when you say that you generally operate "out of DS and Sport" do you mean that you generally have the shifter to the left and the sport button engaged or that you generally are "out of" or NOT in DS+Sport mode? My preferred driving mode is shifter to the left (DS) and Sport mode off.
The former, shifter to left and Sport mode on. In this manner I can run thru the gears manually and have the quicker throttle response. Also as either DS or Sport modes by themselves would only go to 5th gear in the Auto mode I can force M6 as I need it. I only do this in heavy or stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your reasoning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.