BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been looking around but can't really find the answer to my question, hence another post on the sports package... :dunno:

I am going back and forth on whether I should get the sports package or not. my main concern is whether I would experience more damage with the sports package given the poor state of DC/Baltimore streets :eek:

I know low profile tires are more prone to damage but the only difference in the sports package is the rear tires which are 225/45... the fronts are the same in either package. of course the suspension is a bit lower too, but just 0.6" if I understand correctly.

so am I missing anything????

if I get the sports package I will switch tires to all-seasons non-RFT; and I am thinking of the ZSP simply because I like a good handling car and the sports seats look great!

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Have been looking around but can't really find the answer to my question, hence another post on the sports package... :dunno:

I am going back and forth on whether I should get the sports package or not. my main concern is whether I would experience more damage with the sports package given the poor state of DC/Baltimore streets :eek:

I know low profile tires are more prone to damage but the only difference in the sports package is the rear tires which are 225/45... the fronts are the same in either package. of course the suspension is a bit lower too, but just 0.6" if I understand correctly.

so am I missing anything????

if I get the sports package I will switch tires to all-seasons non-RFT; and I am thinking of the ZSP simply because I like a good handling car and the sports seats look great!
Good handling and all-season tires? :eek:

With non-rfts your ride will be better. with summer performance tires your ride will be softer, more responsive and road noise won't sound like a garbage truck inside the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, you are right... but unless I plan to use the spare wheels and tires as a table base, I have nowhere to store them... plus no boy to change them for me :cry:

so am I crazy for getting a sports package and all-seasons? I think there's a bit of handling improvement I could gain with a good set of tires even if all-seasons... my current Yoko Avid H4s and sports suspension did wonders on my old car.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Get the sport package because the base seats are pretty rubbish IMO. We have a 325i, and it's not too bad in DC. I learn to keep an eye out for particularly poor stretches of pavement anyways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am on the same boat. I hate run flats but I do love the the seats, suspension and the thicker steering wheel but maybe not enough to actually choose sport pkg and go through the hassle of run flats.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
I am on the same boat. I hate run flats but I do love the the seats, suspension and the thicker steering wheel but maybe not enough to actually choose sport pkg and go through the hassle of run flats.
All 1 series cars come with RFTs, regardless of your sport package or base package.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
I know, you are right... but unless I plan to use the spare wheels and tires as a table base, I have nowhere to store them... plus no boy to change them for me :cry:

so am I crazy for getting a sports package and all-seasons? I think there's a bit of handling improvement I could gain with a good set of tires even if all-seasons... my current Yoko Avid H4s and sports suspension did wonders on my old car.
The most important thing is that you enjoy it. Switching out the RFTs will give you a more compliant ride no matter what.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So are you worrying about wether you will like the harsher ride of the sport package suspension, or are you concerned that you will damage a wheel or a suspension component?

Either way, this E36 is my daily driver, as you can see it's very low, and the wheels are aftermarket 18's with 40 series rubber, and I drive over all sorts of roads on my commute to and from work. I personally love the ride, because it's very edgy and it feels like I can turn on a dime, and the handling is razor sharp. After driving my E36 for a long time, if I sit into any other car it feels like I am driving an SUV.

My point is that you should *absolutely* get the sport package, if my aftermarket 18's survive daily driver commute and all the stupid manholes we have here, your OEM wheels are much stronger and they will surely survive aswell. Not to mention, with the sport package, you will get the nice seats, steering wheel, and lower and firmer suspension, which is a huge bonus, at least for me and many others.

Actually, sorry if I offend anyone, but if your buying a 135, I think it's absurd NOT to get the sport package, I just don't see why you wouldn't, unless you can't afford the extra $, and in that case you shouldn't be buying a 135 anyways.

Just my .02 cents.

-Greg

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 128i does not come with RFT by default. You are probably referring to the 135i.

I guess i will need to drive a 128i non sport package and be the judge. The only BMW i have ever driven is my own and it is a 325i sport pkg. I HAVE driven one other which was the car i test drove but that was was a long time ago and I could not really tell the difference then.

The bottom line is that I would prefer to have my tires last longer and be less expensive to replace. I got a bit careless on my 325 and one of my tires blew due to tread wear. I had to replace two tires and ended spending $1000 :rolleyes:

·
Rocket Scientist
18 Posts
It's a judgement call, and a matter of taste. I didn't have really have a choice when buying a used 2001 330Ci with sport package, and I had no prior experience with low profile tires. That cost me a new set of wheels at my expense. The first owner evidently ignored a lot of potholes for 35000 miles before I got it. If you ignore sharp-edged potholes with LPTs, and-or fail to maintain tire pressures, you are going to develop lumpy wheels that cannot be balanced for turnpike driving. Mine had flat spots that were visible once I studied them carefully. And the control arm bushings were toast as well.

I used to sneer when I saw folks in cool cars slowing down for RR tracks and potholes, but now I understand. And now that I understand what is going on, I do like that firm ride and feeling of control and of course the wheels look great when they aren't dinged up by curb run-ins. If I want to crash through potholes and over curbs, I can borrow my wife's C/RV.

So you pays your money (maybe more than once) and takes your choice. Oh, BTW, the lowering of the suspension can produce some pretty sharp slap downs when negotiating the narrow/tall speed bumps found in some parking lots.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The 128i does not come with RFT by default. You are probably referring to the 135i.
Like the (non M) Z4 and 3 series, all one series models come with OEM run-flats. For the 128i, the non SP tires are either Conti or Bridgestone "all-seasons", and the SP models have either Pirelli Eufori or Goodyear NCT5 "Touring" summer tires - all of which are RFT.
Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
both cars come with RFTs and both cars come with similar profile tires 205/50 vs 205/50 & 225/45, so the only real difference is the suspension provided I switch tires.

I guess my worry is whether the lower suspension should be more prone to damage. Not worried about the ride at all. I hate the SUV feel and I drove cars with both packages and the sports package is not harsh at all.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I guess my worry is whether the lower suspension should be more prone to damage. Not worried about the ride at all. I hate the SUV feel and I drove cars with both packages and the sports package is not harsh at all.
If you at least try to avoid most potholes or road imperfections you will be fine, there is no reason for the sports suspension to be more easily damaged then the regular one. Although, I think it's life span in general won't be as long, and of course when it comes time to refresh the suspension, sport package suspensions typically cost more.

Even still, IMO it's more then worth it for the road feel, seats, steering wheel and lower stance. Remember, it's all about the stance ;)

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

With non-rfts your ride will be better. with summer performance tires your ride will be softer, more responsive and road noise won't sound like a garbage truck inside the car.
I replaced the RFTs on my335i with all season tires (Pirelli P_Zero Nero M&S. I have no problem with the way they handle. I did a few track laps today. Lots of grip very predictable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts