BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The performance tires that come with the 17" SP wheels are not great in snow, but how 'bout on wet pavement when it rains in fairly warm weather?

·
10,856 Posts
Uh, what tires are they?

Some sports tires are FANTASTIC in the rain, others suck. :p

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Most 'sport' tires actually work better than all-seasons in rain, because their directional tread will channel and evacuate water from between it and the pavement.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
I kicked out the rear end effortlessly this evening on moderately slick streets. I had turned DSC off just to see how slippery it was for one particular corner.

Conti's with 12k miles on 'em.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Haven't actually taken my ED yet, but I gather they're most likely to be the Contis.

·
10,856 Posts
Plaz said:
I kicked out the rear end effortlessly this evening on moderately slick streets. I had turned DSC off just to see how slippery it was for one particular corner.

a) If you can't do that on a RWD car with a decent amount of power, something's wrong. :p

b) Contis suck. End of story. :)

G

·
Plaz said:

12K is more than enough mileage to justify replacing them. Once you get real tires, you'll realize just how badly the Contis suck.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
TD said:

12K is more than enough mileage to justify replacing them. Once you get real tires, you'll realize just how badly the Contis suck.
They really don't look THAT worn yet... I figure I'll wait till 15k. The fronts still look practically new.

I did just get a hole plugged in one of the fronts though. Maybe that's enough of a ticket for the wife to sign off on new shoes... "But honey, what if that plug pops out while I'm on Mulholland Highway?"

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Plaz said:

They really don't look THAT worn yet... I figure I'll wait till 15k. The fronts still look practically new.

I did just get a hole plugged in one of the fronts though. Maybe that's enough of a ticket for the wife to sign off on new shoes... "But honey, what if that plug pops out while I'm on Mulholland Highway?"
If she's anything like mine, the response will be, "Are you sure? If it was really that much of a problem, you would have jsut gone ahead and gotten new tires then."

My wife also knows me well enough to know most of my tricks. There are some that I'm holding in reserve for bigger and better things. :D

·
3,365 Posts
Plaz said:

Yep, the rainy season has arrived here on the west coast! :( Too bad many of the new cars come with the Conti's, but that is kind of the standard it seems. :dunno:

G

·
Plaz said:

Search the archives. They will NEVER wear out. They've hit the hard rubber. Now, it's like you've got Big Wheel tires on your car. No grip, no wear.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
TD said:

Search the archives. They will NEVER wear out. They've hit the hard rubber. Now, it's like you've got Big Wheel tires on your car. No grip, no wear.
True enough. I think I'll still wait till 15k, though. I can handle it.

And hopefully new rubber will be an easier purchase to digest once I receive my alleged holiday "bonus."

(More likely, it will cover some new valve stem caps)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
If you REALLY want to replace tires all the time, check out PZero Rossos. I got less than 15k out of my rears. :D

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Less than 9000 out my fronts...Goodyear RSA :D
But did you run em down till they were bare? I can't stand to see tires tossed with like 20% of tread left on em. I'm cheap that way. :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
My wife also knows me well enough to know most of my tricks. There are some that I'm holding in reserve for bigger and better things. :D
I hear you on this one, used to be able to get over but not any more. She even has a time line for eventual action once I start "talking" about something:confused:

Talked BMW, 2months later on order. Talked computer, 3 weeks later on order. She predicted both:eek: Talking ACS wheels, she pointed to the door :( anytime you want to go :cry:

My big tricks are on hold for next car :D

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Kaz said:

But did you run em down till they were bare? I can't stand to see tires tossed with like 20% of tread left on em. I'm cheap that way. :D
How bare is bare? I'm not corded, but I am below the wear bars on the outer halves of the fronts. I'm doing one more autocross on them next week and then they're history.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts

How bare is bare? I'm not corded, but I am below the wear bars on the outer halves of the fronts. I'm doing one more autocross on them next week and then they're history.
Oh, I suppose auto-xing on a AWD car would do it. I still have the PZeros on the front. They probably have another 10k left.

FWFW, RS-As are typically used around here on cop cars.

·
10,856 Posts
Clyde's right front. :p A few weeks ago. His LF looks pretty similar.

My RF is getting there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts