BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sport vs. Modern Line Questions

4656 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  emtrey
Hey guys. Looking into purchasing my first BMW and I have some (noobish) questions.

From what I gather, one can get the Dynamic Handling Package with the Modern line. If so, what's the difference between that and the sport model in terms of performance? I understand the top speeds on the Modern and Luxury lines are set lower. That doesn't bother me. I also think that only the (m)sport model has Sport+ mode. Would I really miss that in typical driving? I don't intend to take this thing on a track but I do want to have some fun.

Are the seats in the sport line different? Does anyone have pictures or an explanation of why the sport seats are better?

The main reason I'm looking at a modern model is I don't like red and the sport line has red stitching on the seats (I want plain black leather seats!) and steering wheel. Is there a way around that (not from what I see on BMWConfig and BMWUSA's horrible config web app)? I can deal with the instrument cluster being red.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
[I like the red deviated stitching. Its one oif the reasons I went with sportline vs M sport Also do not care for that fake wood trim of the modern line. How about a luxury line with M adaptive [/I]good luck
Hey guys. Looking into purchasing my first BMW and I have some (noobish) questions.

From what I gather, one can get the Dynamic Handling Package with the Modern line. If so, what's the difference between that and the sport model in terms of performance? I understand the top speeds on the Modern and Luxury lines are set lower. That doesn't bother me. I also think that only the (m)sport model has Sport+ mode. Would I really miss that in typical driving? I don't intend to take this thing on a track but I do want to have some fun.

You would get sports plus w/ Madaptove. Limits intervention of traction control

Are the seats in the sport line different? Does anyone have pictures or an explanation of why the sport seats are better?

Sports seats not avaailable in lines other than sport or M sport in US. Sports seats are awesome.

The main reason I'm looking at a modern model is I don't like red and the sport line has red stitching on the seats (I want plain black leather seats!) and steering wheel. Is there a way around that (not from what I see on BMWConfig and BMWUSA's horrible config web app)? I can deal with the instrument cluster being red.

Order an M sport and you can get black seats and M sport steering wheel. package costs $3200.
Thanks in advance.
The sport line is the only way to get the sport seats (at least in the US, other counties may be different). The sport seats are wonderful.

I thought the red would bother me. It doesn't at all. I've actually grown to like it, but honestly you never see it when you're driving. Its very subtle. Go see it in person if you haven't yet.
Actulaly, you also get sport seats with the MSport line.
The sport line is the only way to get the sport seats (at least in the US, other counties may be different). The sport seats are wonderful.

I thought the red would bother me. It doesn't at all. I've actually grown to like it, but honestly you never see it when you're driving. Its very subtle. Go see it in person if you haven't yet.
Thanks for the info guys. Really helpful.
All wood trim in BMWs is genuine.

OP, the ZDH will give you the same handling characteristics of the Sport line. The Sport line and the M Sport have Sport +, but it is a setting you would only really want to use on the track, so it's unlikely you'll ever miss having it.
[I like the red deviated stitching. Its one oif the reasons I went with sportline vs M sport Also do not care for that fake wood trim of the modern line. How about a luxury line with M adaptive [/I]good luck
Im getting a Modern Trim because of the Turbine rims. Its a good thing that the 2013 Modern Trim has color matching steering wheel/dash with the seats. Im hoping my car will come in mid-October, but since I learned about the two week August closing...I dont think its going to happen. Now Im looking to see whats available now or in a few weeks. I dont like the red trim in the Sports Trim, but I think it is replaceable?
Everything I tried on BMWConfig and BMWUSA's site said otherwise, unless you went with an msport or went with gray seats (have not seen those in person) so I can't say whether or not I fancy them. I like the turbine wheels as well but I was hoping to get sport seats. And I REALLY like EBII. I figure for the ~$1600 it's probably worth getting the color I want and the "nicer" (haven't sat in either yet) seats since I plan to keep this car for a while.
Im getting a Modern Trim because of the Turbine rims. Its a good thing that the 2013 Modern Trim has color matching steering wheel/dash with the seats. Im hoping my car will come in mid-October, but since I learned about the two week August closing...I dont think its going to happen. Now Im looking to see whats available now or in a few weeks. I dont like the red trim in the Sports Trim, but I think it is replaceable?
M sport doesn't have red stitching and has a better steering wheel. Also looks better IMO.
Actulaly, you also get sport seats with the MSport line.
Otherwise to what? The color matching steering wheel/dash with the seats?
Everything I tried on BMWConfig and BMWUSA's site said otherwise, unless you went with an msport or went with gray seats (have not seen those in person) so I can't say whether or not I fancy them. I like the turbine wheels as well but I was hoping to get sport seats. And I REALLY like EBII. I figure for the ~$1600 it's probably worth getting the color I want and the "nicer" (haven't sat in either yet) seats since I plan to keep this car for a while.
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's possible even with the (m)sport unless you go with black seats. I could be wrong so take that with a grain of salt. I think the wheel is always black. The dash has trim that you can change but I think that's about it on the (m)sport.
Otherwise to what? The color matching steering wheel/dash with the seats?
steering wheel is black on all M sports.
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's possible even with the (m)sport unless you go with black seats. I could be wrong so take that with a grain of salt. I think the wheel is always black. The dash has trim that you can change but I think that's about it on the (m)sport.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.