BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 msport with MPPK. I always had the sportmode configure to 'chassis' only and if I needed the extra power I would slide lever to the left. Today I configured sport mode back to 'chassis and engine'. I'm not sure if its just my mind, but it feels like more power. Am I delusional?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I have a 3.5 msport with MPPK. I always had the sportmode configure to 'chassis' only and if I needed the extra power I would slide lever to the left. Today I configured sport mode back to 'chassis and engine'. I'm not sure if its just my mind, but it feels like more power. Am I delusional?
Well...

Do you have adaptive M suspension as well as the M performance power kit (MPPK)?

If you set the sport mode switch to "chassis only" that would mean that putting the car in sport mode would only adjust the steering feel (and suspension if you have adaptive M), but NOT the shift points. Shift points would remain in the "comfort" mode setting.

Sometimes people set this up so that they can get the stiffer handling they want without the reduced gas mileage that the more agressive sport mode shift points give.

Changing it back to chassis + engine means that now your sport mode switch has the more aggressive shift points when put in sport mode, along with the stiffer steering (and suspension if you have m sport suspension).

How that interacts with moving the lever to the left I dont know. I think moving the lever to the left also provides more aggressive shift points and allows you to shift yourself, right?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
For maximum effect be sure to try both Sports mode (button) and Sports mode (gear stick) !!
Other than the shift points, the Sports mode (button) also squirts more gas into the cylinders at the same pedal position, mess with the timing and max boost (whatever it's supposed to do). Anyways one way to test the MPPK for fun is set to the middle/regular/comfort button, cruise along in a constant speed and also keep the foot in a constant position. The press the sports button and it'll start accelerating!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not sure about yours. Ours is higher rpm for a given circumstance if in sport mode. That puts the vehicle higher in the torque curve. Yes, it responds with more power. Travel safe. Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts