BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do you get for $500 (before installation)? What does it do, except make you feel special for having a piece of CF (ooooooooh) in your car? What is the performance enhancement? And what is the weight savings? 3 ounces?

And how many do you need? 2 or 4? (Well, that would be 6 or 12 ounces of weight savings, for only $1,000 to $2,000.)

Sounds to be like totally worthless, hidden (!) :bling: Isn't that an oxymoron?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Yeah, you actually only need one...

Also, I believe a strut brace would enhance the stifness of the body, Ie less body roll etc...
more of a handling rather than a performance mod...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Jalli said:
Yeah, you actually only need one...

Also, I believe a strut brace would enhance the stifness of the body, Ie less body roll etc...
more of a handling rather than a performance mod...
This is especially true if the 6er didn't already have a brace, but, as Dinan Engineer points out, his CF brace is intended to replace the factory brace. So now the question becomes whether the claimed increased stiffness of the CF brace significantly increases the overall stiffness of the vehicle. My guess is no.
 

·
Do the interns get Glocks
Joined
·
9,324 Posts
How about some facts....How much less weight? How much stiffer?

Whats the impact on gs on the skid pad?
Any impact on the lateral stiffness of the car.

How about some objective data.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
LmtdSlip said:
How about some facts....How much less weight? How much stiffer?

Whats the impact on gs on the skid pad?
Any impact on the lateral stiffness of the car.

How about some objective data.
I like your idea of emphasizing empirical/performance data (eg, slalom times) rather than merely quoting a percent stiffness increase as the rags often do. However, increased chassis stiffness does have an important subjective component as well, eg, reduced cowl shake in verts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spyder said:
I like your idea of emphasizing empirical/performance data (eg, slalom times) rather than merely quoting a percent stiffness increase as the rags often do. However, increased chassis stiffness does have an important subjective component as well, eg, reduced cowl shake in verts.
If it's significant. The piece could be "much stiffer" and the only difference it will make is to put money in Dinan's pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Looks good for show :bigpimp:
I agree that Dinan should provide some performance figures.
AC Schnitzer made 1 for the 5er as the 5er doesnt originally have one, so i guess this would help.
But im not sure in the case for the 6er as the car comes with 1 already..
I had mine replaced by the dealer before as it made some noise.. There was a crack or something... Not sure why...
But if Dinan's made of carbon fiber, i assume it's got to be strong
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,705 Posts
Sorry fellas.. I know opinions are like a$$holes and everybody has one. I am not a fan of moding OEM stuff as you all know... but I think to beat-up our sponsor senseless is uncalled for.

Feel free to continue your bickering here as I have split this discussion off from the original.

Thanks,

beewang

Forum Moderator 6 Series and ED forum, www.bimmerfest.com:bigpimp:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H E L P

beewang said:
Sorry fellas.. I know opinions are like a$$holes and everybody has one. I am not a fan of moding OEM stuff as you all know... but I think to beat-up our sponsor senseless is uncalled for.

Feel free to continue your bickering here as I have split this discussion off from the original.

Thanks,

beewang

Forum Moderator 6 Series and ED forum, www.bimmerfest.com:bigpimp:
Bee - If you're going to split the thread so I'm the thread "starter," please spell "STRUT" correctly! Or you can be thread starter!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Malibubimmer said:
Bee - If you're going to split the thread so I'm the thread "starter," please spell "STRUT" correctly! Or you can be thread starter!
Right. Mal, I thought you had started a thread about jock straps, er strauts, umm straps.:dunno:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top