BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on my car what looked to be bird droppings. I am not sure because it was small and it was all black (did not have any white in it like regular bird droppings). When I got home I used Z6 to take it off. THe stuff came off pretty easily. When I was done I noticed a spot on my paint that looked almost like tree sap or tar. I tried to put more Z6 on it and it did not work. Then I tried Goo Gone, and that did not work. Finally I washed the entire car and put more z6 on it and still no luck. What can I do to get this off? My car is not even two weeks old, so I am very upset.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Sounds like acid etching from the bird crap:(

I got hit today as well:mad: :banghead: In ~ 5 hours the bird crap etched my paint:bawling:

You should try some fine polish or something like 3M hand glaze to remove the spot. Be sure to rewax the area afterwards. I'd do the same but my cupboards are all bare of both items:cry:

But tomorrow is another day. And rest assure I will never be without something again.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
You can also do a search (upper right hand corner) and use the key word "Bird", you'll find several posts regarding bird poop and remedies.
What no sympathy for Phil:( :cry:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Oh! Sorry Phil!
:cry:

:)

I got bombed at work by a bird recently, I had my trusty mobile kit with me, took care of it as soon as I noticed it, no etching though, luckily, I suppose the birds around here haven't discovered dropped McDonalds food in the parking lots yet... :)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Oh! Sorry Phil!
:cry:

:)

I got bombed at work by a bird recently, I had my trusty mobile kit with me, took care of it as soon as I noticed it, no etching though, luckily, I suppose the birds around here haven't discovered dropped McDonalds food in the parking lots yet... :)
I have my kit too, but it had etched already. This in an ~ 5 hour period. Not there at lunch but there at 4:30.:mad: I have no idea what that bird ate but it did a number on my paint.:bawling:

I dawned this spot this morning and washed the rest of the car (with shampoo) before coming to work. Brought my wax with me and will go get some glaze at lunch, find some nice shade and hopefully take car of it:)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ran out yesterday to 2 auto stores, neither had 3M hand glaze so I bought a bug, tar, bird dropping gel:eek: (I was desperate). Tried it out and it got rid of ~ 80% of the etching:confused: But then I remembered the wise advice from Alee about letting the paint breath:D

Did so and when I got home last night, reworked the area with Speed Shine and viola..........gone:thumbup: Got up early this morning and waxed the area:bigpimp:

Question for Rip or Haus.....I'm getting ready to order some restock from Griot's. Would their fine hand polish work for these types of incidents? And does it also serve as a prewax paint cleaner? TIA

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Hmm, not sure that Fine Hand polish would help, Alees method of removing it, and letting it air dry seems to be the concensus on these matters.
Like I said I remembered his wisdom after trying the stuff.

What about the Griot's as prewax cleaner:dunno:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Like I said I remembered his wisdom after trying the stuff.

What about the Griot's as prewax cleaner:dunno:
Now if thats the stuff that strips waxes off the finish, THAT seems that it might be better than the fine hand polish, it strips the wax and anything else on the clear coat...if you have a number or a Griots magazine handy, post the product number in the "Mixing Meguiars and Zaino" tread if you could.

My best approach to this is simliar to Alees: Alittle alcohol and water mixture to clean the area. Let it sit for a few days. Then re-wax it.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:

Now if thats the stuff that strips waxes off the finish, THAT seems that it might be better than the fine hand polish, it strips the wax and anything else on the clear coat...if you have a number or a Griots magazine handy, post the product number in the "Mixing Meguiars and Zaino" tread if you could.

My best approach to this is simliar to Alees: Alittle alcohol and water mixture to clean the area. Let it sit for a few days. Then re-wax it.
What I bought was not Griot's.

The stuff I'm thinking about getting is Griot's polish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.