BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone installed new springs on their own? and if so has anyone did a diy yet? im going to be installing hr's this week and would like a heads up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I thought someone posted a DIY a couple weeks ago... I just did mine and can tell you you have to take the trunk guys out and the instillation in the trunk at the top of the rear springs really not that bad .. Fronts took longer obviously but IMO well worth it ... Car really feels great. GL

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry meant trunk guts .....lol

·
David
3,550 Posts
Anyone who has a good diy please post...I know we have a few guys who have installed their own springs.

Ordering mine soon and I would not be opposed to spending a Saturday putting mine in to save $300.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I've put coilovers on mine, H&Rs on quarterto8's car, Eibachs on my E38 (same basic setup), and done plenty of other cars. If you get stuck on anything, pm me. Make sure to disconnect your headlight level sensors from the front and rear control arms (passenger side) before you unbolt much.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yup ask keif he knows it all when it comes to 7. I was lucky to have him install mine. The front are a pain but the rear are a breeze

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O ok. Thanks keif. I did springs on my chrysler 300 5 years ago but that's a chrysler lol. I've seen the headlight level thing up front before, but I never saw it in the back.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
You shouldn't have too much trouble doing the springs on this car if you've done a 300, the headlight level sensor was the only gotcha from what I recall. Also, be careful around the top of the rear driver's side - there are some fiber optics you may hit if you get really sloppy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish me luck. About to start my install. Tis will be my friend on this one hopefully.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Makaveli.... You drop her yet? Any pics...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just finished dropping the rear only. im gonna wrap up the front tommorow...well today now (wednesday) lol.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the rear was pretty straight forward. just remove 3 bolt on the top of the strut which is located in the trunk. and then remove the nut that holds the stabilizer link to the lower control arm. and then remove the bolt that holds the shock. then the shock was free to remove from car.

·
David
3,550 Posts
Looking forward to pics and congrats on the upgrade, I'm sure your car look great:

If you don't mind please be more specific as to how the handling/ride was effected by the new springs. I will most likely purchase h&r's within the next week, but I'm really interested to see how they effect handling, especially in tight cornering.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I remember in the past when I've dropped my cars, I always had a problem with the shocks and had to replace them as well. Did you guys find that problem on the 7, or is it a simple spring swap???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congrats Makaveli.... Pics as far as ride feel ... IMO the cars feeling is just tighter less floatie ... Sportier overall.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tight cornering car stays flat. Right now car is fresh on the springs so ill give it some time. But car just feels more responsive overall.

·
David
3,550 Posts
IMO the cars feeling is just tighter less floatie ... Sportier overall.
Nice! That's what I was hoping to hear. I am just not getting the 100% BMW feel from my non-sport 750. A more sporty ride outweighs the "drop" in my decision to purchase springs.

Glad to hear Mak. I am definitely going to purchase h&r's, and due to the complexity of some of the questions yourself and other members have asked regarding their installation, I am most definitely not going to attempt to install them myself.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
exactly, its not floaty or bouncy. they feel alot better than my eibachs on my chrysler 300 do. i also replaced my stabilizer bar links up front, my old ones were shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts