BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of using a 10mm spring pad in the rear to raise my back end a bit. I have 235/40-18's that are rubbing even with fender rolling, and Im looking to get some more clearance. Hopefully enough to run 255s. You people think it will affect handling at all?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
chukiechz said:
thinking of using a 10mm spring pad in the rear to raise my back end a bit. I have 235/40-18's that are rubbing even with fender rolling, and Im looking to get some more clearance. Hopefully enough to run 255s. You people think it will affect handling at all?
Yes, it will definately affect handling FOR THE WORSE. Wider tires in the back will drastically increase UNDERSTEER. Larger rubber and larger wheels will decrease acceleration due to weight. Spring cups will decrease your camber angle hence decrease your cornering stability. Everything you are thinking of doing will no doubt make this car handle like crap while drastically decrease your acceleration.

But if you're dead set on doing it, by all means...We're not here to judge.:tsk:

Unless you've got an M5 motor under that hood of yours (you know it fits) and have the transmission to put every bit of that 400 HPs on the road, the 255 tires in the back is just purely for show only.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: spring pads?

The HACK said:

Yes, it will definately affect handling FOR THE WORSE. Wider tires in the back will drastically increase UNDERSTEER. Larger rubber and larger wheels will decrease acceleration due to weight. Spring cups will decrease your camber angle hence decrease your cornering stability. Everything you are thinking of doing will no doubt make this car handle like crap while drastically decrease your acceleration.

But if you're dead set on doing it, by all means...We're not here to judge.:tsk:

Unless you've got an M5 motor under that hood of yours (you know it fits) and have the transmission to put every bit of that 400 HPs on the road, the 255 tires in the back is just purely for show only.
He has a supercharged 3.2L S52, I think 255s might help....

notice, his ride, Blown 332

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Raising the car 10mm isn't going to do anything to widen the fenderwell by the same amount to get 255s underneath. The only way to stop the rubbing is to get wheels with more offset, or roll the fenders more :eek:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: spring pads?

nate328Ci said:

He has a supercharged 3.2L S52, I think 255s might help....

notice, his ride, Blown 332
I stand corrected then. Perhaps instead of just going wider, another approach would be to go with stickier tires. These cars are only designed to accomodate tires that are so wide.

Another option would probably be looking at customized rear fenders. I remember reading an article in Roundel of a company making custom fenders for E36es in either light weight fiberglass or carbon fiber ($$$!). Perhaps they can make something that WILL accomodate the 255s under an E36 chasis. Also an overhaul of the suspension is probably in order, like a stiffer shock (Bilstein Sports) for shorter suspension travel so the tires won't rub? Maybe even Xi springs?

That's why I'm against turbocharging or supercharging a vehicle that's naturally aspirated without some serious planning first...One thing will lead to another and you'll end up just replacing the entire car. Start with engine, to the clutch, to transmission, to brakes, wheels, tires, suspension...When you turbocharge or supercharge a car you will have to upgrade the entire chasis to handle the extra power being put down on the road.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I paid $25 for the spring pads, so it was worth a shot.

I havent driven much on it, but it did seem to raise the rear up a bit. There is definitely more clearance, so it seems to do the trick for now. No more rubbing when I step on the gas hard.

Eventually, Im gonna have to roll the fenders out more. I think IM going to need 255's and a stickier tire.

Question on offset, I have a 41mm offset now, wont a larger offset push the wheel and rim further out? If anything, couldn't I have the wheel shaved down a few mm's?

forgot to add that its an 8.5" wide 18" rim

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: spring pads?

The HACK said:

That's why I'm against turbocharging or supercharging a vehicle that's naturally aspirated without some serious planning first...One thing will lead to another and you'll end up just replacing the entire car. Start with engine, to the clutch, to transmission, to brakes, wheels, tires, suspension...When you turbocharge or supercharge a car you will have to upgrade the entire chasis to handle the extra power being put down on the road.
no part of the suspension needs to be upgraded with the additional power. The M3 tranny handles the power fine. the 3 series driveshafts and M3 driveshafts are identical. There arent any special springs or shocks for forced induction cars. Wheels arent necessary to change either.

The only upgrades I've done is to put M3 brakes on the front, and a sachs sports clutch.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
chukiechz said:
well, I paid $25 for the spring pads, so it was worth a shot.

I havent driven much on it, but it did seem to raise the rear up a bit. There is definitely more clearance, so it seems to do the trick for now. No more rubbing when I step on the gas hard.

Eventually, Im gonna have to roll the fenders out more. I think IM going to need 255's and a stickier tire.

Question on offset, I have a 41mm offset now, wont a larger offset push the wheel and rim further out? If anything, couldn't I have the wheel shaved down a few mm's?

forgot to add that its an 8.5" wide 18" rim
All pads are going to do is raise the car, so all that's going to happen is that the tires will rub 10mm later in the suspension travel. I can't say without looking at the contour of the inner fender, but 255s on the same wheels will most likely make it rub again at best, or stick OUT of the fender at worst. If you're set on running wider tires, you need to see if a wheel with more offset (50mm like my Alpinas?) will fit without hitting the rear shock or muffler or whatever eise is back there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.