BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got one of the new sprint bluetooth phones yesterday - the sanyo katana. It works very well in my 2006 330i. No problems connecting initially. Sound quality is good, can hear people clearly almost the entire time and people i've called say they hear me clearly. Only at highway speeds did someone ask where I was calling from, as they heard background noise. The phone book transfered perfectly. Top 8 calls works. Last 8 dialed calls works. Accepted calls works. Only missed calls does not work (and to be honest, I havent 'missed' any calls yet while inside the car, so it might technically work - not sure yet). Given the problems alot of others seem to have had with other sprint phones I'd definitely recommend this one in particular, at least for the 2006 330i.

·
Registered
470 Posts
deepmann said:
Hi all,

Got one of the new sprint bluetooth phones yesterday - the sanyo katana. It works very well in my 2006 330i. No problems connecting initially. Sound quality is good, can hear people clearly almost the entire time and people i've called say they hear me clearly. Only at highway speeds did someone ask where I was calling from, as they heard background noise. The phone book transfered perfectly. Top 8 calls works. Last 8 dialed calls works. Accepted calls works. Only missed calls does not work (and to be honest, I havent 'missed' any calls yet while inside the car, so it might technically work - not sure yet). Given the problems alot of others seem to have had with other sprint phones I'd definitely recommend this one in particular, at least for the 2006 330i.
That's very encouraging. Do you have iDrive? What was your production date? I'm wondering if I'll have the same luck.

Also, any update on the missed calls feature? Have you missed any yet? Do they show up?

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Same here...interested to hear your updates. I wish Sanyo would resurrect and upgrade the candybar-style SCP-6400, but the Katana may have to do till then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received my car in july 2006. I'm not sure of the production date (where would I look for this information?) but I believe it was a relatively recent date, since we had to get the exact car I wanted shipped down south (live in FL). Per the dealer at least the car came from Germany, then was sent directly to us once it reached the port (took few weeks to finally get it)

I dont have I-Drive. The missed call DOES work. What had confused me -whether it was about the missed calls, top 8 calls, accepted calls, or last dialed calls - is that those options are all dependent on what goes on WHILE YOUR IN THE CAR. THe only option that updates itself with what you do once your out of the car is the phonebook (which I'm happy to say still updates when I add names). So if I purposely choose not to take a call while in the car it will be in the missed calls area but if i'm walking to my car and miss a call, it will not show up in the BMW as a missed call, nor will any call I receive when im not in the car show up in the "accepted calls" area. But beyond that is working great and I have no problems since. When making the outgoing calls i find myself using the voice command or the phonebook the vast majority of the time so the lack of updates for those other options is not quite that important to me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
deepmann said:
I received my car in july 2006. I'm not sure of the production date (where would I look for this information?) but I believe it was a relatively recent date, since we had to get the exact car I wanted shipped down south (live in FL). Per the dealer at least the car came from Germany, then was sent directly to us once it reached the port (took few weeks to finally get it)

I dont have I-Drive. The missed call DOES work. What had confused me -whether it was about the missed calls, top 8 calls, accepted calls, or last dialed calls - is that those options are all dependent on what goes on WHILE YOUR IN THE CAR. THe only option that updates itself with what you do once your out of the car is the phonebook (which I'm happy to say still updates when I add names). So if I purposely choose not to take a call while in the car it will be in the missed calls area but if i'm walking to my car and miss a call, it will not show up in the BMW as a missed call, nor will any call I receive when im not in the car show up in the "accepted calls" area. But beyond that is working great and I have no problems since. When making the outgoing calls i find myself using the voice command or the phonebook the vast majority of the time so the lack of updates for those other options is not quite that important to me.
Thanks for the prompt response. I don't know where you look for your build date (it's probably on the door frame or the window sticker or something. But since it is a recent build, as mine is (completed in February 2006), I'm sure it will work the same on mine. And, of course, I'll test it before I buy (and after, for the 30 day return period). Anyway, thanks again, you've inspired me. I'm going to the Sprint store today to get this phone!

Also, I agree that I'll use the phone book or the voice command to call almost always, so I don't think it matters that these other things don't update for call activity away from the car, either. In fact, I'm not sure if any of the phones (even top GSM phones) do that. Others will know, I'm sure. I guess it would be nice if the missed calls updated (e.g., you get off the plane, rush to your car, turning your phone on while walking to the car, get in, and it shows you what calls you missed while you were on the plane to return them, without having to look through the phone), but the phonebook is the key. If that's working well, it's golden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK. I just confirmed it. I just got a brand new 2006 330i yesterday (09-08-06), with iDrive; and YES the Sanyo Katana from Sprint works perfectly.

Of note on setting it up: I had to change some settings on the phone to get it to work. Under the "Permissions" portion of the Bluetooth settings; Change both "Hands-Free" and "Object Push" to "Always Allow". I also changed "Visibility" to "Always Visible". I made all the above changes at once, so I'm not certain if they are ALL necessary. Either way, it is working perfectly now!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

·
Registered
470 Posts
OK. I just confirmed it. I just got a brand new 2006 330i yesterday (09-08-06), with iDrive; and YES the Sanyo Katana from Sprint works perfectly.

Of note on setting it up: I had to change some settings on the phone to get it to work. Under the "Permissions" portion of the Bluetooth settings; Change both "Hands-Free" and "Object Push" to "Always Allow". I also changed "Visibility" to "Always Visible". I made all the above changes at once, so I'm not certain if they are ALL necessary. Either way, it is working perfectly now!

Hope this helps!

Cheers
First, congratulations on the car. You'll find, if you're anything like me, that it is the best purchase you've ever made. I've never owned a material object that I have enjoyed more than I enjoy this car.

Second, welcome to Bimmerfest. I have gotten and given much good, friendly advice and information here (more gotten than given).

Now, about the phone, which has been the only frustration I've had with the car. I've tried many phones (including the Katana twice), but haven't found a Sprint phone that worked completely, until today (more on that below). I couldn't get the Katana to work back in July, nor could I when I tried one again a few days ago. I don't think I did all those things that you mentioned, though (I don't think I did). I guess I need to go try one last time, and take the steps that you recommended.

Coincidentally, I got back from the Sprint store about two hours ago. I went there to try the Blackberry 7130e (CDMA for Sprint; there's one for Verizon, too) in the car. It was the first Sprint phone that did EVERYTHING exceptionally well in my car (it even displayed the type of contact it was, i.e., Home, Cell, Work). I thought it might, because my office gave me a Blackberry that has T-Mobile service (the 7105t), and it worked perfectly, too. But I want Sprint, because I'm in the middle of a Sprint contract, I'm on a Sprint family plan with my wife, Sprint is the only carrier that works at my house and, contrary to what many say about Sprint, I just like Sprint service, Sprint plans and Sprint coverage, at least where I usually use the phone. I also like the Blackberry 7130e because it can be used as a modem for a laptop on the Sprint high speed internet network (EVDO, I think they call it), and I travel a lot, so the modem thing is huge.

Anyway, can you let me know how the Katana works as to the following criteria?

[ ] phone pairs to car regularly and quickly
[ ] phone book automatically synchs to car and contacts are displayed on iDrive control display
[ ] for multiple phone number entries in phone book, identifies type (home, cell, work)
[ ] can make calls from phone book using iDrive control display
[ ] can dial names in phone book by voice without verbal training of system
[ ] when receiving call, can see incoming caller's ID on iDrive control display
[ ] can take incoming calls using steering wheel button
[ ] iDrive control display shows last 8 calls (missed, outgoing, incoming)
[ ] can use call waiting (see 2nd caller's ID, switch to 2nd call, switch back, using car's controls and not phone's controls, without losing either caller)
[ ] can retrieve landline voicemail messages, using pauses, passwords, etc., which are part of the phone number entry in the phone book

As to these last two, I think it's just a pipe dream. I've not heard anyone say they can do these things in an E90 using the BT system. The others are things that should work if there is full compatibility.

I guess I'll head back to the Sprint store to try the Katana again.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Katana here. Here at the following functions that I have (I have the same setup options that was described above as well)

[X ] phone pairs to car regularly and quickly
[ X] phone book automatically synchs to car and contacts are displayed on iDrive control display
-no iDrive here but displays on radio
[X ] for multiple phone number entries in phone book, identifies type (home, cell, work)
-dont have I drive
-maybe I'm confused but is this even possible? If it is I think this is an option that a
person has to have through sprint first (which I don't have)
[X ] when receiving call, can see incoming caller's ID on iDrive control display
[ X] can take incoming calls using steering wheel button
-I dont have iDrive but the radio display works for this for me. The missed, outgoing, incoming calls are NOT from the phone but rather the calls made/missed/received while IN THE CAR.
[ ] can use call waiting (see 2nd caller's ID, switch to 2nd call, switch back, using car's controls and not phone's controls, without losing either caller)
[ ] can retrieve landline voicemail messages, using pauses, passwords, etc., which are part of the phone number entry in the phone book
-on this last option, if I want to check voicemail I just have to manually push in numbers after hitting the "keypad" button on the radio. Works majority of the time without problem (rest of the time you just have to push the same button twice for example, for a command to work)

Overall reception is good about 90%+ of the time for me..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi,

Katana here. Here at the following functions that I have (I have the same setup options that was described above as well)

[X ] phone pairs to car regularly and quickly
[ X] phone book automatically synchs to car and contacts are displayed on iDrive control display
-no iDrive here but displays on radio
[X ] for multiple phone number entries in phone book, identifies type (home, cell, work)
-dont have I drive
-maybe I'm confused but is this even possible? If it is I think this is an option that a
person has to have through sprint first (which I don't have)
[X ] when receiving call, can see incoming caller's ID on iDrive control display
[ X] can take incoming calls using steering wheel button
-I dont have iDrive but the radio display works for this for me. The missed, outgoing, incoming calls are NOT from the phone but rather the calls made/missed/received while IN THE CAR.
-on this last option, if I want to check voicemail I just have to manually push in numbers after hitting the "keypad" button on the radio. Works majority of the time without problem (rest of the time you just have to push the same button twice for example, for a command to work)

Overall reception is good about 90%+ of the time for me..
Thanks for your post, deepmann. It's very encouraging. If I added up all the time I've spent on this over the last 6 weeks (reading, buying and returning phones, going to the BMW center, making phone calls, etc.), it's probably 50 hours or something . . . .

The functionality details you provided above are exactly what I would expect from a non-iDrive car with full bluetooth functionality. Congratulations. I'm excited about trying it again!

Regarding the ability to do voice dialing, there have been earlier threads discussing this ability in some detail. My understanding is that it will NOT work on non-iDrive cars because they have a different version of the computer. The way jspira explained it, if I recall correctly, was that iDrive required the "high" version of the computer, which is what enabled the voice dialing. It is actually done by the car, if it works, and is not something that you have to get as an option from Sprint (they do have a voice dialing option, too, which is different; I think you pay another $5 a month for it or something). In any event, the BMW voice dialing is, I find, not extremely accurate. It gets me about 60% of the time. So, don't consider it a huge loss if you don't have it. If voice dialing were important to you, you could sign up for the Sprint service, as $5/month is cheap.

Looking forward to viperseph posting a response, too, since he has iDrive, as I do. The problem is, he's had the car for two days. Smart money says he's out driving it right now, not checking his email . . . .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Katana + i-Drive = Success

Thanks for your post, deepmann. It's very encouraging. If I added up all the time I've spent on this over the last 6 weeks (reading, buying and returning phones, going to the BMW center, making phone calls, etc.), it's probably 50 hours or something . . . .

The functionality details you provided above are exactly what I would expect from a non-iDrive car with full bluetooth functionality. Congratulations. I'm excited about trying it again!

. . . .
I am not prepared to answer the questionaire, but I can say my July '06 production E90 with i-Drive works well with my Katana. Almost too good..One small, but funny issue is that the i-Drive will read the address book names just as they are imported.

Katana places an (M), (H), (W), etc after numbers to mark them mobile, home, work, etc. i-Drive imports the Katana's address book with those letters appended to the names. So the name for Amy's mobile number is "Amy (M)" and i-Drive pronounces it as if the name is "Amym." This "feature" make for some funny pronounciations, esp. when I have to say "Amym" to dial that number! :rofl:

·
Registered
470 Posts
. . . I can say my July '06 production E90 with i-Drive works well with my Katana.
That's great! I assume you configured your settings as viperseph described, right? Any other settings issues to watch out for?

I'm going to head down to the Sprint store to try the Katana one more time . . . .

Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Marin,

Sorry for the delay in the response. You would be correct that I have been out driving as much as possible. Only had it a week and already halfway through my break-in period. I can't WAIT to get past it and really open it up.

Anyways, my responses to your questionaire are below:

[X] phone pairs to car regularly and quickly
- It pairs everytime no problem, however, it does take about a minute before you can use it... although I attribute this mainly to the iDrive taking a minute to completely boot-up and become usable itself.
[X] phone book automatically synchs to car and contacts are displayed on iDrive control display
[X] for multiple phone number entries in phone book, identifies type (home, cell, work)
[X] can make calls from phone book using iDrive control display
[X] can dial names in phone book by voice without verbal training of system
- I LOVE this feature. All you have to do is hit the voice command button on the steering wheel and say "Dial [Name]" and it will auto-select the name (no voice training required). As DJHakim mentioned above, you can even say W, H, M, etc. after the name to specify the contacts work, home, mobile, etc. This seems to work fairly well, although I have had a few times where it fails to recognize the last letter, and will select the wrong number for the person you are trying to dial. However, it does ask you to confirm your selection before it dials; at which point you can say no and try again, or since it's usually just one number up or down, I just use the controller to just select it real quick.
[X] when receiving call, can see incoming caller's ID on iDrive control display
[X] can take incoming calls using steering wheel button
[] iDrive control display shows last 8 calls (missed, outgoing, incoming)
- Not sure on this one, as the car/phone are so new, I haven't really had any missed calls yet.. hehe
[] can use call waiting (see 2nd caller's ID, switch to 2nd call, switch back, using car's controls and not phone's controls, without losing either caller)
- Not sure; haven't had this scenario yet.
[] can retrieve landline voicemail messages, using pauses, passwords, etc., which are part of the phone number entry in the phone book
- I'm guessing you mean that you can call your landline home phone and give it the password to access your voicemail? I was able to check my voicemail for my sprint phone no-problem. I was able to put in the password to access it and navigate the menus (listen to messages, skip, erase, etc.) using the iDrive... so I would imagine that it would work fine with dialing a landline number as well.

One other little quirk that I've noticed. On my drive home from work, there is one spot where the road kind of dips down and signal typically drops; however, I've used my phone through there many many times without it dropping the call. When I use the phone with the car, it drops the call everytime in that spot. So, the signal strength seems to be a bit more sensitive with the car than with the phone itself. FYI

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's great! I assume you configured your settings as viperseph described, right? Any other settings issues to watch out for?

I'm going to head down to the Sprint store to try the Katana one more time . . . .

Thanks for your post!
I did go down and try the Katana, and it worked perfectly with my e90, once I changed the settings as viperseph described. Plus, it's an excellent phone in many other areas, too (excellent reception, durable, sleek and small, fast menus). I am extremely pleased.

Thanks to all of you who offered your advice. THis solved a very irritating problem for me. Now I'm bluetooth nirvana . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts