Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ooops

No, not on the steet, at auto-x :p I got too agressive in my second run and got the rear end to light. I spun it turning into a right turn kink. It rotated around almost 270 degrees, I couldn't save it and had opposite lock trying to correct it. Only took out one cone while I was traviling sideways, it hit the drivers door at a perpendicular angle; so I finished the run (and stalled the car in the spin :eek:) Also, that was my first cone that I have ever taken out and my first spin ever. I won't drive agressively enough to spin on the street. When you hit your first cone, might as well make it a good performance :dunno: I actually was spending more time oversteering than understeering. No weird tire pressures, just being agressive on a slick surface. :bigpimp:

Still not as bad a Vince :p

and I have some pics of a cool E30 M3, if anyone wants to see them :dunno:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Sounds Fun!

Sounds like you had a fun time! I spun mine last year at an autoX, but I have hit cones many times without spining. Today, may have been my first autox ever without hitting a cone. I think I have done 8 autoX, since I started the sport last year. How often do you wish you had a LSD? At least for 1 or 2 turns each autox, I think I would find it helpful. Talk about smoke, sometimes I over gas it, and have fried the inside rear tire.

happy autoxing!

CD-55

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Sounds Fun!

CD-55 said:
Sounds like you had a fun time! I spun mine last year at an autoX, but I have hit cones many times without spining. Today, may have been my first autox ever without hitting a cone. I think I have done 8 autoX, since I started the sport last year. How often do you wish you had a LSD? At least for 1 or 2 turns each autox, I think I would find it helpful. Talk about smoke, sometimes I over gas it, and have fried the inside rear tire.

happy autoxing!

CD-55
I want LSD :mad:

I feel the inside tire slipping all the time at auto-x and at the track :thumbdwn:

Smoking like this? (in January)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I have spun my car 3 times. The first on a wet track, kept it on the asphault. The next 2 times I left the track and went for a ride!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in_d_haus said:
I have spun my car 3 times. The first on a wet track, kept it on the asphault. The next 2 times I left the track and went for a ride!
Early apex? :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Spun my car out today

Al328ci said:
don't all 328ci 's have LSD's?
No E46 except for the vaunted M3 has LSDs.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Spun my car out today

The HACK said:

No E46 except for the vaunted M3 has LSDs.
and they get the kick ass M Lock differential :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Spun my car out today

You would think that BMW would start putting LSD's on all their cars by now--at least the coupes. I have an old E30 and it has an open differential, and I only wish I had a LSD. I bought an E46 assuming it would have an LSD.

What are the advantages to an open differential?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: Spun my car out today

Al328ci said:
What are the advantages to an open differential?
There are none that I can think of. It should be an option or maybe even include it in the Sports package a la 540i SP.

Even the new Jaguar S-Type R with 400hp doesn't have one :dunno:

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's cheaper to build it into the electronics now...

Instead of making a mechanical LSD they build it into the software of the traction control...sort of. Unfortunately we all know how castrating the system is. Much cheaper for BMW that way so they can spend money on other stuff.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
nate328Ci said:
Ooops

No, not on the steet, at auto-x :p I got too agressive in my second run and got the rear end to light. I spun it turning into a right turn kink. It rotated around almost 270 degrees, I couldn't save it and had opposite lock trying to correct it.
Hi Nate,

I spun the living daylights out of a Dodge Viper at the Skip Barber school's autox a couple of weeks ago.

I was doing well and the instructor was encouring me to "go..go..go.....". Well, i had a bit of nasty trailing throttle oversteer, spun into the weeds collecting grass, mud and probably a frog or two before the thing stopped.

I was quite humiliated, but my instructor got out, checked the wheels and we were off again.

Got to love it when it's someone else's 70k car.

Ed

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Spun my car out today

EdCT said:

Hi Nate,

I spun the living daylights out of a Dodge Viper at the Skip Barber school's autox a couple of weeks ago.

I was doing well and the instructor was encouring me to "go..go..go.....". Well, i had a bit of nasty trailing throttle oversteer, spun into the weeds collecting grass, mud and probably a frog or two before the thing stopped.

I was quite humiliated, but my instructor got out, checked the wheels and we were off again.

Got to love it when it's someone else's 70k car.

Ed
I wish that I could have done that :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts