Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am the happy new owner of a pre-owned 2017 X5 sDrive with a staggered set of 20" wheels as OEM with flared fenders lips. I have a set of questions:
1) I would like to know if it is possible to put a square set of 20" OEM wheels?
2) Would this square fitment affect any of the computers or on drive-ability?
3) What effect with this have on tread wear?
4) If the square set up is possible what are options for OEM BMW Wheels, which BMW Style 20” could be used?

Thank you in advance for your technical and aesthetic help!

All the best,
Rafael

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Hello all,

I am the happy new owner of a pre-owned 2017 X5 sDrive with a staggered set of 20" wheels as OEM with flared fenders lips. I have a set of questions:
1) I would like to know if it is possible to put a square set of 20" OEM wheels?
4) If the square set up is possible what are options for OEM BMW Wheels, which BMW Style 20” could be used?

All the best,
Rafael
1. yes
2. no...not if you use the BMW recommended tire sizes (or alternate/equivalent tire sizes with same overall circumference and widths correct for the size wheel being used)
3. you'd be able to rotate your tires
4. Any f15 or e70 X5 20 inch wheels could be used...I would recommend using the front wheels unless you really want 315/35/20 tires in the front. Do NOT look for e70 X5M or F95 X5M wheels because the front & rear have different hub sizes. Fronts are 74.1mm & rears are 72.56mm. Same goes for the e71/f16 X6 & X6M...they have split hub sizes front/rear.

Your owners manual also lists the various BMW recommended tire sizes that match the wheel size offerings for the f15: (ignore the yellow highlights in pic from manual below...this pic was in my stash and was an answer to another question...but the other info (on the manual's page) is pertinent to the questions you asked)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear QSilver7,

Thank you for this excellent response. Easy to understand.

A question could I currently have BMW Style 451 wheels. Given your comments, I could just purchase another front set and mount them on the back.

Thank you again for the informative response.

Best regards,
Rafael

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hello all,

All the best,
Rafael
As mentioned above, yes, you can go to a Square set up. I will assume you have 10" wide wheels on the front & 11" wise on the back. Is this correct? If so, which is the case of most 20" staggered set-up, I would suggest buying (2) add'l fronts (10" wide) & install with same size tires that are on the front & mount on the rear. That way you can always go back to staggered if you want & these wheels/tires will rotate ok front to rear. I don't think 11" will fit on the fronts without interference but I've never tried it. What style wheels do you have?

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
You two answered each others questions...so looks like all is well. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Rav31,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I have BMW Style 451 wheels.

Many thanks,
Rafael

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QSilver7,

Thanks again for your very detailed help.

The next job for me is either go with 2 additional Style 451 fronts for the rear or spec out some nice 20" square OEM wheels.

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks,
Rafael

·
Registered
138 Posts
love the chart been looking for accurate info...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts