BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Squealing manual transmission need advice

4618 6
Hows it goin everybody

So ive got a 2004 330ci with a 6 speed transmissions. Ive been havin some problems with it lately but really the word problems is debatable. The way the car drives itself and shifting and all of that is fine. Ive got no complaints or difficulties on how it drives. Its just all the noises my transmission makes is worrying me. This has been on ongoing thing now. I know i need a new throwout bearing because you can hear this very subtle spinning rattling noise as the cars on but if i press down on the clutch peddle then the noise goes away. But just recently on a cold start up after the car hasnt been driven in a while when i engage first and second gear while thw clutch is letting off the transmissions squeals almost like a bad belt in the engine. I havent had the money or the time yet to repair the transmissions but what would this squeeling noise mean? Is somethin else going bad or is the throwout bearing about to completely give out? Any advice would be appreciated so thanks in advance.

Ive also got one more question really quick. My steering wheel lately has been having a some vibrations in it as im driving. It shakes subtly left to right and increases with higher speeds. I know this could mean multiple things after looking it up, anything from the CABs going bad to warped rotors but i know when i brake the car the shaking stops and if i remember if it was the CABs going out then the braking would make it worse right? I just revently changed my brake pads but i changed them about a month ago and this constant shaking has only started a couple weeks ago. How would i be able to narrow down to what could be causing this? Any advice on this as well would be appreciated thankyou.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
On any type of car diagnosis/repair, start with the easiest and cheapest first.

On the transmission, you do not say how many miles or what kind of previous maintenance. I would recommend starting by changing the manual transmission oil. Pull the filler plug first, and then drain and save the old fluid. I think it uses a 14mm Allen wrench (double-check this). Look at the old oil. Is it dirty? Are there metal pieces or filings?

Refill with synthetic fluid. I use Redline MTL, but there are numerous others available. Replace the washers for the drain plugs (if equipped). Drive your car and see if anything improved or changed. If the transmission is bad internally, it will normally make a grinding noise, rather than a squealing noise.

Your clutch release (throwout) bearing will need to be replaced soon if it is making noise. The squealing could be from the release bearing too, or it could be the pilot bushing. You will want to replace all during your upcoming clutch job.

If your car has some miles, the control arm bushings should be replaced. This is a designed wear part. They are relatively inexpensive. But, I am not sure if this will cure your shaking. Look at tire balance, tire out-of-round, etc.

:drive:
Man im an idiot! Really sorry i forgot to add those points in. But my cArs got 70k miles on it and ive already change out the transmission fluid about 5k miles ago. What are some other symptoms of the CABs goin out? And is it a job i could do myself or its one of those things that should e trusted only to a shop?
simplest things first,

Vibration that increases with speed could be tire imbalance. Cheap and easy fix before getting into major stuff.

CABs may be going as could the tie-rods though at that mileage, not likely.

Eliminate tires first before you spend a bunch of cash chasing that vibration.
Alright thanks for the advice guys. I know i need new tires really bad. Im gonna change em out as soon as im
Able too the treads low enough to buy a whole new set anyway. I dont know dick about tires though or the sizes that the 330ci can take. What are good brands you guys have dealt with. Right now ive got low profile continentals on and ive got the sport package rims on the car right now so should i just get another pair of tje same tires or would somethin like a set of pirellis or toyo or somethon be better. Like i said i know nothing about tires and ill do some research into it myself but some first hand experiwmce from you guys with any brands would be very helpful. Thanks again.

Also could someone tell me wether changing out thw CABs is an easy DIY or im gonna have to take it to a shop for thwm to do it. Im strapped for cash so if theres any hope of me doin it myself ill do it i just cant find and tutorials or DIY guides on how to do it.
Replacing the CABS isn't that hard. Once you get the car up and the reinforcement plate off, it's just 2 bolts for each. Toughest part can be getting the old ones off. A large 2 jaw puller with and impact wrench makes it easy, if you can get your hands on one. The new CABs (get them already pressed into new brackets) align by way of a "Dimple" so you can't misalign and because of this, you won't need an alignment if you only do CABs versus the whole control arm.

There's DIYs on here. Check the WIKI.
Alright thanks for the advice guys. I know i need new tires really bad. Im gonna change em out as soon as im
Able too the treads low enough to buy a whole new set anyway. I dont know dick about tires though or the sizes that the 330ci can take. What are good brands you guys have dealt with. Right now ive got low profile continentals on and ive got the sport package rims on the car right now so should i just get another pair of tje same tires or would somethin like a set of pirellis or toyo or somethon be better. Like i said i know nothing about tires and ill do some research into it myself but some first hand experiwmce from you guys with any brands would be very helpful. Thanks again.

Also could someone tell me wether changing out thw CABs is an easy DIY or im gonna have to take it to a shop for thwm to do it. Im strapped for cash so if theres any hope of me doin it myself ill do it i just cant find and tutorials or DIY guides on how to do it.
There`s nothing wrong with your trans....you have a bad throwout bearing.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.