BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may have already been asked if so im sorry for the repeat.I have a 2005 325ci and at cold start ups it has a high pitch squeal coming from the front of engine.Its louder in colder weather and only last a few seconds,once the engine gets warm it no longer does it at start ups.All that i have done so far is replace a idler pully which didnt help at all.Wanted to get advice before just adding parts. Thanks alot for any help.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
This question may have already been asked if so im sorry for the repeat.I have a 2005 325ci and at cold start ups it has a high pitch squeal coming from the front of engine.Its louder in colder weather and only last a few seconds,once the engine gets warm it no longer does it at start ups.All that i have done so far is replace a idler pully which didnt help at all.Wanted to get advice before just adding parts. Thanks alot for any help.
Either the tensioner pulley or the belt or both.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i said i replaced idler but it was the tensioner pulley that i had replaced sorry about that.It sure sounds like metal to metal but you think it just may be the belt.Thanks for your time and i will try that.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Thanks i said i replaced idler but it was the tensioner pulley that i had replaced sorry about that.It sure sounds like metal to metal but you think it just may be the belt.Thanks for your time and i will try that.
Depends greatly on the maintenance and mileage of the car. Could be a lot of things, but the pulleys are common failure items.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
70,000 maintenance has been kept up on the car,but dont know if belt has ever been replaced.So im sure in needs to be.
At that mileage it could also be the water pump. If you haven't done a cooling system overhaul, now would be the time.

· ZHP = Patlabor
2,360 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.