BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear driver side brakes started squealing the other day when I apply the brake, and it's REALLY annoying. I tried some spray stuff, it worked for like a day then it starts up again. I did my brakes like 10k ago. Any suggestions?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Did you perform a brake bedding procedure when you had new brakes?

Is your anti-rattle clip still in place?

Where did you spray the "spray stuff"? If you get some anti-squeak paste/spray, you have to take off the pads to spray the back of them...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,230 Posts
Have they been dropping a lot of gravel and/or rock salt on the roads up where you live? I bet you a cup of coffee that`s at least part of the problem. If possible, examine closely for trapped gravel, etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you perform a brake bedding procedure when you had new brakes?

Is your anti-rattle clip still in place?

Where did you spray the "spray stuff"? If you get some anti-squeak paste/spray, you have to take off the pads to spray the back of them...
I did perform a brake bedding procedure.
Anti-rattle clip still there.
I just sprayed the stuff right at the edge of both sides of where the pad contacts the rotor. I have heard of the paste but i did not want to put the car up on the lift and take everything apart then wait for it to set overnight.

And yes fastbob we have been getting hit hard with snow storms up here and tons of salt and sand has been put down. So i guess i'll have to put her up on the lift and check everything out, and prob get some paste.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if you didn't use plastilube then that is your problem right there. with plastilube you do not need to wait for it to set over night or at all. just apply reassemble then you're done.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
if you didn't use plastilube then that is your problem right there. with plastilube you do not need to wait for it to set over night or at all. just apply reassemble then you're done.
+1 ... don't need it to set overnight. Remove pads, smear on back, replace pads, done!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 ... don't need it to set overnight. Remove pads, smear on back, replace pads, done!
really? well i'll have to pick some up, i'm doing my front brakes this weekend and i'll smear some on the rear pads while she is in the air.

·
Registered
520 Posts
really? well i'll have to pick some up, i'm doing my front brakes this weekend and i'll smear some on the rear pads while she is in the air.
remember to put it on the back side of the pads (not on the side that makes contact with the rotor) and also the caliper where the pad makes contact.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My rear driver side brakes started squealing the other day when I apply the brake, and it's REALLY annoying. I tried some spray stuff, it worked for like a day then it starts up again. I did my brakes like 10k ago. Any suggestions?
I have the same problem too ... check your brake shoe cos when i ask my mechanic to tighten the e-brake the problem got away ... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same problem too ... check your brake shoe cos when i ask my mechanic to tighten the e-brake the problem got away ... just my 2 cents
humm...that is interesting because my e-brake is loose, like i have to pull it so far up for it to actually do anything.

·
Registered
520 Posts
humm...that is interesting because my e-brake is loose, like i have to pull it so far up for it to actually do anything.
except your foot brake and the parking brakes are completely separate and independent systems. only thing they sort of share is the rear rotors but the parking brakes are dumb type and do not touch the same surface as the foot brake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts