BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The SRS on my 1996 BMW 328ic is ON and I finally decided to address it. I bought the Peake tool, well not actually the Peake tool, but the Chinese knock off, and discover that my problems were from the O2 table:

10 Seat belt buckle switch, driver

18 Seat occupancy detector, passenger

For the seat belt buckle issue, I tried the following trick:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35103

For the passenger seat occupancy detector I tried:

None of them worked and now I am puzzled. I did not solder for any of the above, could that be the problem? Maybe an issue with the Chinese tool not deleting correctly?

The situation is still the same, I get codes 10 and 18 and after erasing successfully the light comes back immediately and so do the codes.

Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
here's a thought...why not fix it properly??:dunno:

stop trying to do an end run on a repair. not saying it won't work, but if you did, and then wind up selling said car to someone else and they have an issue, you could open yourself up for all sorts of legal/financial hurt.

df

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
There are two parts that can cause the occupancy sensor fault. One is the occupancy sensor itself, and the other is the sensor interface module (the small black box in the video). If the interface module is bad you can connect anything you want in place of the occupancy sensor and you'll still get the fault code for the occupancy sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right drivinfaster, I would normally fix things properly, but this two "tricks" have no downside. They both remove the SRS light (theoretically) and the airbag still deploys. With the occupancy passenger seat issue, the only difference is that the passenger airbag deploys every time, I do not think that is a bad thing, but please let me know if you think differently.

stop trying to do an end run on a repair. not saying it won't work, but if you did, and then wind up selling said car to someone else and they have an issue, you could open yourself up for all sorts of legal/financial hurt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a great point dc_wright. Any idea on how to test it?

There are two parts that can cause the occupancy sensor fault. One is the occupancy sensor itself, and the other is the sensor interface module (the small black box in the video). If the interface module is bad you can connect anything you want in place of the occupancy sensor and you'll still get the fault code for the occupancy sensor.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
That is a great point dc_wright. Any idea on how to test it?
There's no simple way to test it if you don't have access to an electronics lab. It measures the impedance of the seat sensor and makes the equivalent of a relay closure to the SRS computer. You could try disconnecting the connector from the car harness to the module and connecting a 50 ohm resistor between the pins that go to the wht/red and org/brn wires. That may simulate what the SRS computer module is looking for.....

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
meh,...didn't mean to sound harsh. sorry...

just it irks me when people try to cut corners to 'fix' things then plead for help when it doesn't work.

guessing gets expensive.

i guess ya just gotta understand the system in order to be able to get a work around.

still not a fan of doing so, though.

df

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I bought a dongle from ebay and that fixed the passenger seat occupancy issue. Now I just have to buy a new seat belt buckle to fix error code 10 "Seat belt buckle switch, driver"

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts

df
Hell yes you can. Ohhhhh man if I could have got my hands on the bastard that sold me the car with the airbag light filled in... I once sent him an email about it, he usually always replied to emails, even talked to him on the phone after he sold it to me. That email in particular though I never received a response from. If he had lived in the same province I would have been tempted to take him to a small claims court.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Yes yes the airbags will fire, but maybe that extra airbag that went off that didn't need to will be the difference between your car being totalled or not. ALSO if it doesn't know whether or not you are buckled in, the airbag WILL deploy with less G-forces than it normally would, which again could be an undesired and pointless expense, and cause possible unneeded (is that even a word?) injury to yourself.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Yes yes the airbags will fire, but maybe that extra airbag that went off that didn't need to will be the difference between your car being totalled or not. ALSO if it doesn't know whether or not you are buckled in, the airbag WILL deploy with less G-forces than it normally would, which again could be an undesired and pointless expense, and cause possible unneeded (is that even a word?) injury to yourself.
E36s did not come with dual stage airbags. The transition to the dual stage system came at the end of life on the E36 and I'm believe it was first offered in the E39

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
It has nothing to do with dual stage airbags. Dual stage airbags have the ability to protect younger drivers by inflating with less force, what I'm talking about is much more simple than that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I removed the 100ohms resistor from the driver seat belt buckle today, reset the light, and it is off for the first time since I have owned the car (about two years), let's see how long it lasts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts