BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As always I believe in doing everything at the same time when working in an area of the car.

I see the bleeding of the clutch and replacing the stock clutch line with SS as the sametime job.

I purchased a Earls SS line from WW engineering (29$).

And I bought the BMW clutch bleed tool.

Following the factory TIS instructions of compressing the piston and cycling it during bleed could not be done with out this tool.

Be careful when changing the lines as they are easily stripped or snaped.

Ron pointed out that someone lost one of the slave cylinder nuts when reattaching the cylinder down inside the transmission case. Whew, watch ou for that!

I would, if you have the budget, also purchase the BMW clutch wear gauge to see how much is left on the plate, as the slave is removed to do this.

Attachments

·
866 Posts
So, it's kinda like a dipstick for the clutch?? :) Very interesting.

I'd like to know your perception of any difference with the clutch pedal feel after changing the hose and bleeding it. I've read Ron's, but I'm not sure if there is any difference or not between an S52 and an S54.

Dwayne

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
I bought the SS line from WW as well but I won't be using the BMW tool(we'll see what I rig up, lol.)

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bol said:
I bought the SS line from WW as well but I won't be using the BMW tool(we'll see what I rig up, lol.)
Be VERY careful. The little piston is not connected and WILL fly out at any opportunity. LOTS of pressure behind it. After doing the job I would say this is one tool worth having. Besides how could you cycle the piston in and out slowly without it.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dwaynemosley said:
So, it's kinda like a dipstick for the clutch?? :) Very interesting.

I'd like to know your perception of any difference with the clutch pedal feel after changing the hose and bleeding it. I've read Ron's, but I'm not sure if there is any difference or not between an S52 and an S54.

Dwayne[/QUOT

I think the improvement is on the order of fine tuning. The shifting is much better. I am beginning to think many of the complaints we read of hard shifting might just be clutch lines leaking and the system needing a good bleed.

And make sure you order the BMW Tool it is essential to this job. Many special tools are just an assist. This one is necessary to follow the TIS instructions on bleeding. I think you will be happy.

P.S. The new plugs and wires helped my rough running engine. as well as the tranny mount adjustment.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
bob lindquist said:
Be VERY careful. The little piston is not connected and WILL fly out at any opportunity. LOTS of pressure behind it. After doing the job I would say this is one tool worth having. Besides how could you cycle the piston in and out slowly without it.
:(

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
bol said:
I don't think it was very expensive. And it took about a week to get. Hang in there. You can bleed the slave without it. You just can't cycle in and out the piston easily. You might be able to use your creativity and devise a method to do it safely with a very large channel lock plyer or such. The tool just makes it very easy.

·
866 Posts
bob lindquist said:
P.S. The new plugs and wires helped my rough running engine. as well as the tranny mount adjustment.
The plugs and wires also helped mine. Actually more than I thought it would. It is a lot smoother on the highway and through acceleration.

I'm not sure I know what the tranny mount adjustment is.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dwaynemosley said:
The plugs and wires also helped mine. Actually more than I thought it would. It is a lot smoother on the highway and through acceleration.

I'm not sure I know what the tranny mount adjustment is.
Oh I had UUC stiff tranny mounts with the metal cups. The sensation of the engine went thru the whole car and made it feel poor, buzzy. I removed the metal cups that go over the mounts and adjusted the mounts so the tranny slowly sit on them before I tightened them down. I replaced the stock ones to buy a little more insurance from missing the 2 to 3 shift and overreving the engine by going into 1st.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
bob lindquist said:
I don't think it was very expensive. And it took about a week to get. Hang in there. You can bleed the slave without it. You just can't cycle in and out the piston easily. You might be able to use your creativity and devise a method to do it safely with a very large channel lock plyer or such. The tool just makes it very easy.
That's what I had the idea of doing, plus I have a bunch of clamps that I can muck around with to get something else working.

I think I'll just call my mechanic and see if he has the tool or any tricks. You should hear his trick for getting old subframe bushings out... It involves a torch. He'll melt the old bushings out. :rofl:

He's a great guy and does flawless work but some of his ideas are a little out there!

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
changing to the SS clutch line and carefully bleeding the slave made a big difference in the ease of shifting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bob, sorry if I missed it, but where did you purchase the BMW clutch bleed tool? I'm quite interested in seeing if a good bleeding and the SS line resolve my compalints.

Thanks,
Paul

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
snowphun said:
Bob, sorry if I missed it, but where did you purchase the BMW clutch bleed tool? I'm quite interested in seeing if a good bleeding and the SS line resolve my compalints.

Thanks,
Paul
I really think a portion of the shifting complaints we hear about are slaves that need the correct bleeding. also it seems the hydralic lines go and leak after a little while (50K on mine). Ron's and mine both showed leaking.

I ordered my tool from the dealer. You might get a better deal elsewhere but I didn't try. I just wanted it. once you do the bleed the factory TIS method you will appreciate the benefit of the tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts