BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was detailing my front rims getting them ready for spring this morning. Now its time to start detailing the rear rims, so I begin scrubbing away at the inside first; when I notice these!!! :mad:

Three cracks in the rims! I couldn't believe how bad they were. So now I'm freaking out so I go to my other rear rim and what do I find . . .

Closeup:

FOUR CRACKS!!!

I can't believe this. :cry: I had to replace one rear rim last year b/c of a crack in them.

Now I have three front rims without cracks that are completely useless to me. I don't want to buy any more SSR's at all.

I really loved the way these looked but shelling out over $1K a year for new rims is not my idea of fun.

Maybe I'll buy myself some BBS's :dunno: I have another 6 weeks or so before the car is taken out of storage, so I have some time to mull this over.

I've spent probably upwards of $7k on wheels and rims over the last three years at Tirerack. I'm hoping I can maybe get a bit of a discount on a new tire/rim package. :angel:

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
That does not look good.

Are they new? Some kind of manufacturing defect maybe? I would be thinking about notifying the manufacturer...If this the case on your wheels how many others are in use in the same or worse condition? Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me. :dunno:

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Damn thats awful! At least you didn't find out about them the hard way(small consolation)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If they were purchased from us, you may have a warranty claim option.

Contact customer service at 1-800-428-8355, ext 360, and they can walk you through the process. If you don't want SSR any more, they may offer you some type of concession in lieu of a warranty claim. Its not my dept, so I'm foggy on exactly how much leeway they have, but they are normally very good about it.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they were purchased from us, you may have a warranty claim option.

Contact customer service at 1-800-428-8355, ext 360, and they can walk you through the process. If you don't want SSR any more, they may offer you some type of concession in lieu of a warranty claim. Its not my dept, so I'm foggy on exactly how much leeway they have, but they are normally very good about it.
Thanks Gary. I actually sent a rear rim in last year for clear coat flaking and the warranty was denied b/c the rim was cracked. I do not believe Tirerack will cover this sort of damage.

What's really odd is that the front rims are totally fine; no crack, no bending, nothing. The only big difference between the rims is that the rears are 9.5" and they are 35 profile; vs. the fronts 8.5" 40 profile.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me that it might be possible to weld the cracks. That seems like a less expensive option that buying another set of $3-4K rims.

I will contact Tirerack and see if this is indeed a warranty item. The one rim is not even a year old and was only driven for half the year. The other rims is approaching two years.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
there's no point trying to weld those, it will likely just crack somewhere else,
you need to get them off the car asap before you have a catastrophic wheel failure

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TeamM3 said:
there's no point trying to weld those, it will likely just crack somewhere else,
you need to get them off the car asap before you have a catastrophic wheel failure
I'm getting the wheels looked at to see if they can be welded. If so; I'm going to get them repaired since it will be much less expensive to repair rather than replace them.

The car has been in storage for the entire winter and these wheels have been sitting in my spare bedroom since October.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ObD said:
:eek:

I'd dump them no matter what cost.
I know, if I was as nuts as I was with spending cash when I installed my stereo system back in May '02, I would do just this. I really don't want to spend another $3-4K on new rims. I still need to buy new tires this spring so I'd be up around $5k. :thumbdwn:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Ack said:
I know, if I was as nuts as I was with spending cash when I installed my stereo system back in May '02, I would do just this. I really don't want to spend another $3-4K on new rims. I still need to buy new tires this spring so I'd be up around $5k. :thumbdwn:
If you have a catastrophic wheel failure it might kill you. if you have a catastrophic audio failure... You might not be able to listen to music in your car? You don't have to spend $3-$4k on wheel

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.