BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice town? In the summer?

Good stop for the night from Munich to Milan? Or better in Lake Como or Bolzano? Any other better places to stop?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It all depends on what you want---
  • Twisty mountain passes and off-season ski resorts--try Switzerland
  • Great Italian dining at prices (far) below Milan--one of Bolzano, Merano, or Bressanone
  • Austrian town directly en route--Innsbruck
Personally, I would avoid a Lake Como resort town for a one-night stay. You end up paying for the resort atmosphere, but not really getting much of it. Normally I would give the same advice about Venice, but we spent an afternoon (high tea & shopping), light dinner, one night in an expensive hotel on the Grand Canal, and the "behind-the-scenes" tour of the Doges Palace in the morning a few years ago and had a great time in less than 24 hours. So...it all depends on what you think will be memorable.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not interested in staying in Innsbruck, and figured we would just drive along the lake on the way to Milan since I don't really know what's available in Lake Como..is St. Moritz dead in the summer? I guess we can eat lunch on top of a mountain there..don't need any italian dining will get plenty in Milan for 2 nights..I've been to Bolzano and I guess I would rather stay somewhere else..is Merano or Bressanone or Verona better? Or is st. moritz the place?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
..is Merano or Bressanone or Verona better? Or is st. moritz the place?
I have not been to St, Moritz in the summer, so someone else will have to answer that part. We really enjoyed Merano--river walks, architecture, food, a variety of hotels and guesthouses, even a cutesy shopping street. We were planning on stopping over in Bessanone/Brixen next month, but we have changed directions slightly and are going to the Udine/Gorizia area instead.

For an assortment of Merano pix, see this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241400&highlight=Meran

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
St. Moritz actually gets quite busy in July & August and there are many groups of day-trippers visiting from other places. The rest of the Summer, it's a beautiful, peaceful place with great scenery and a nice lake. If the weather's good, then take a cable-car ride to the top of the mountain.

An alternative to consider, would be to take the Brenner Pass route and overnight on Lake Garda at Malcesine.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Not interested in staying in Innsbruck, and figured we would just drive along the lake on the way to Milan since I don't really know what's available in Lake Como..is St. Moritz dead in the summer? I guess we can eat lunch on top of a mountain there..don't need any italian dining will get plenty in Milan for 2 nights..I've been to Bolzano and I guess I would rather stay somewhere else..is Merano or Bressanone or Verona better? Or is st. moritz the place?
Verona - great place to stay is Villa Quaranta.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we will do St. Moritz, save Verona for another trip to Venica. Just wondered if St. Moritz was the best choice in the mountains.

Wow that makes for an expensive lunch, I read some hotels might give lift tickets?? Kempinski an ok choice?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I think we will do St. Moritz, save Verona for another trip to Venica. Just wondered if St. Moritz was the best choice in the mountains.

Wow that makes for an expensive lunch, I read some hotels might give lift tickets?? Kempinski an ok choice?
Kempinski is OK.

Schweizerhof is pretty good also (lake view from our room):

1 - 10 of 10 Posts