BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2007 X5 3.0d stalled suddenly on the highway. After a few days the dangerous stalling became more frequent.

I phoned the BMW dealer and they said they have not heard of such a thing.(???) I had a mobile mechanic read the codes and I got a cylinder 5 injector fault. I called the local bmw experts and they reported that they have done many hundreds of cylinder 5 (6) injectors replacements. The failures are due to the plastic cowling deteriorating causing water to drip into the injector well of cylinder 5. My friend has a 2013 X5 and the same drip happens in the rain. If you have an X5 make sure water is not getting to your engine or you too will be forking over $500 per new injector and god knows how much to remove, replace and reset the computer. (000’s).

it’s not a difficult job, (if you don’t lose the nuts). I used blue tac in my sockets to avoid losing the nuts.

You will need a puller tool to get the old rusted fuel injector out, also make sure the old washer is removed from the well.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,117 Posts
Was the stalling problem cured by replacing one injector? I doubt it. Years ago I had to replace #6 due to a DTC, not caused by my perfect water exclusion bulkhead.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
This issue: failed cowling>>>water leaks onto injectors 5&6>>>injector failure has been know for MANY years. Like 8+

A post I made from the contributions of others.

Indeed, it was so ‘known’ that BMW issued a TSB.

;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
It’s kind of funny…sometimes I feel like a human google. There is a TON of history on the E70. And there is bimmerfest, xoutpost, others… but new folks either dont think to search or dont search properly. Old farts who have seen it before (if not 10 times before) can look it up in a second.

Oh, replace your cowling. Unfortuantely, the cowling were $20-30 a piece back then, now $120. There are 3 pieces. No-name versions are $75 for a set. Amazon.

GL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts