BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 325I that runs very well except when cold. Start up is perfect, rpm runs up to about 1200rpm then goes to 500rpm, rough idle and stalls within 5-10 seconds. I can rev the engine, keep it running and once it is warmed up it runs like a top. Any suggestions? Tom

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The service engine soon (SES) light is on only when an emissions related code is present. These cars, like all modern cars, have extensive diagnostic capabilities engineered into the electronix. Take advantage of those capabilities.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I used to have a similar problem, after a bunch of research I found a few things that would help. Check your Idle Control Valve (ICV), check your coolant temperature sensor on the lower radiator hose. The Idle control valve would cause this type of issue, and the coolant temp sensor would cause the computer to think the coolant is the wrong temperature, causing issues. The fact that you said it runs well once warm makes me think it could be that temp sensor.

Lastly, I would check both the intake boots, the upper and lower. Both of mine had dry rot and tears. That is what ultimately fixed my issue.

I would also scan your car, like marcoz.. recommended. I didn't have any codes, however, had a similar start then stall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.