BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off happy new years but we had a service drop off a driver to take us hokme and just learned that the key does not have to be in the ignition to start. He said the fob just had to be so close... I didn't realize until we were going home and the key wasn't in the ignition... not sure if you guys knew as well but if not I learned something new after 5 years of have a 7 :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer

·
jenkx
712 Posts
First off happy new years but we had a service drop off a driver to take us hokme and just learned that the key does not have to be in the ignition to start. He said the fob just had to be so close... I didn't realize until we were going home and the key wasn't in the ignition... not sure if you guys knew as well but if not I learned something new after 5 years of have a 7 :)

Starting the car without using the "key" is only a feature for those with comfort access. If you have comfort access you can unlock the doors from the outside just by grabbing the door handle as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I never take the key out of my pocket. Its to the point where I get lazy with putting the key in to start our other cars.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Thanks for the info, some may well not know this and if someone like you with over 1,000 posts is unaware of this great feature, there are bound to be others. I posted a couple of weeks ago that you don't have to put the car in park when exiting. You only need to hit the start/stop button and it automatically goes into park, you skip the step of selecting park with the gear selector. Did you know about this?

One of the reasons I selected my 7 was specifically for the Comfort Access. This was a $1,000 option than now is "free" as all BMWs have keyless start- there is not even a slot for a key. Comfort access is now $500 and allows you to grab the door handle and the car locks/unlocks without using the fob. Not worth $500 IMO.

I will NEVER own another car without keyless start. MB introduced this in Europe 14 years ago and many economy cars like Focus, Mazda3, Sentra all have keyless start. Stupid Honda still refuses even on high end Acura models like my '11 MDX: Inexcuseable. BMW has been slow to the keyless start party. Lexus had it standard on the LS/ES in 2007 as did the Avalon.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I had no idea and I was slightly intoxicated so it was that much more facinating to me! Didn't know about the door unlock too, will try that today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts