BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Start/Stop System

1502 10
Hello all

those of you who own an F30 will notice the standard feature of start/stop.

Personally i can't stand it, an engine switching on and off and back on and then off in traffic, plus i believe it isnt healthy for an engine to be subjected to such behavior even if it does save me some gas.

Who hates this system and who likes it? plus how much more gas are you saving? and does the system tire the battery out in traffic and so on?

cheers
vin
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Hate it. Disabled it. Haven't thought about it since.

BJ
i dont mind it, i have 5000 miles and hardly notice it anymore. a lot smoother than when the car was new
It has no deleterious effect on the engine, but does increase starter load a bit which the starter is deigned (eight times more robust).

If it disturbs you, either turn it off when you start the car (a simple button push) or ask the dealer to re-code it to remember the last setting.
I know you are new here best I suggest you do a search for this topic. There are literately dozens of threads which will be of interest. I hope this helps.
Hello all

Personally i can't stand it, an engine switching on and off and back on and then off in traffic, plus i believe it isnt healthy for an engine to be subjected to such behavior even if it does save me some gas.

Who hates this system and who likes it? plus how much more gas are you saving? and does the system tire the battery out in traffic and so on?

cheers
vin
OK Vinni, now would be an excellent time to look into surveys, how to create.

On this board, you can create a survey thread, meaning that everyone visiting can vote & a running tally as a chart is displayed.

Aha! No reminders to SEARCH first, eh. Annoyed participants deflected, you have at hand a current rep of opinion.

Sound pretty good? Hey I'm game - give it a shot....
Welcome on board the Bimmerfest...I notice you are from the island of Mauritius! I'm told it has some of the world's best beaches - would love to visit sometime. How are the roads there to really open up and fully enjoy the Ultimate Drive...just curious! Enjoy your new Bimmer, would love to see some pictures! :)
Hello all

cheers
vin
Yes we do have some incredible beaches and yes it is amazing to live so close to such beaches.

If you do decide to visit check out this place: Heritage Villas, i stayed for a couple of nights and it was AMAZING!!!! Also our local beer is just THE BEST!!! if that is any concern for you guyz!

Roads are quite a massive problem, too many cars, not enough roads so traffic is relentless and so is the $1.50 a litre for Gas :mad:! Although we do have some superb back roads, twisty, wide, forest roads which are an absolute joy.

Sadly with 100%:thumbdwn: tax on cars makes it very hard to own and run something like an M3 or M5. Hopefully one day when I win the lottery i can own something manic and fun.

Cheers
Welcome on board the Bimmerfest...I notice you are from the island of Mauritius! I'm told it has some of the world's best beaches - would love to visit sometime. How are the roads there to really open up and fully enjoy the Ultimate Drive...just curious! Enjoy your new Bimmer, would love to see some pictures! :)
Picked up my 2013 BMW 328i M Sport yesterday,talked to the dealer the auto start stop can not be recoded as last drive mode!Either turn off it or leave it as the old way.......What should I do?????
... Also our local beer is just THE BEST!!! ...[/QUOTE]

I bet most germans would beg to differ ^^.

Roads are quite a massive problem, too many cars, not enough roads so traffic is relentless and so is the $1.50 a litre for Gas :mad:! Although we do have some superb back roads, twisty, wide, forest roads which are an absolute joy.
Can I have these prices pleaaaaaaase? Yesterday I paid 1.9 Euro per Litre (about 2.39 USD)

Sadly with 100%:thumbdwn: tax on cars makes it very hard to own and run something like an M3 or M5. Hopefully one day when I win the lottery i can own something manic and fun.
Woah. Thats harsh. You pay the double price for the cars?

And to stay ontopic:

I think with the MT, the ASS isn't that bad as with auto. When I think it's only a short stop, I just let it in gear and press the clutch so the engine doesn't shot off. If I know it's a red light or it's going to take a little longer, I decouple and the engine shuts down.
Pretty Much, unless you work for the government and you get a concession but if you work for any other company you pay the full price + tax

lemme give you an idea

Standard 320i is around $75,000 (Manual, Baseline)
Standard 520i is around $131,000 (Manual, Base)
An M5 will set you back $278,000 :cry:

i wonder what people can get for these prices over in Europe, USA etc....

ironically A LOT of people own premium cars despite these crazy prices, only vehicles that aren't taxed are pick-up trucks and actual trucks!
... Woah. Thats harsh. You pay the double price for the cars?...
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.