BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Start then Die - Knock Sensor Code

977 Views 0 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  cbailey1523
Ok. First off, I've done a search for the following: Barely Start, Stopped Running, Knock Sensor, Died. I've been searching through the forum for about an hour and a half with the aforementioned criteria and can't find my symptoms. I'm not saying it's not out there, as I'm sure I'm not the first e36 owner who's had this problem, I'm just saying I haven't found it yet.

Here's the deal. I have a 95 325is. I've had it for about 2 months. I've replaced the crank position sensor due to a no start condition. I was driving the car yesterday morning and was about to merge onto the interstate (giving it about half throttle) when it started sputtering on me then died. The CE light came on as it was dying as well. I tried to restart it to no avail. I made tow truck arrangements and after about 15 minutes of sitting, it would kinda start but then quickly died again.

I pulled my trusty scanner out and checked the codes and it came back with a knock sensor code and an o2 sensor code. After looking at the other posts with knock sensor issues, I didn't see any that stated the car was having my symptoms. I've ordered the knock sensors and also the cam position sensor (while it's that far apart I might as well replace it). Please tell me I'm sniffing the right trail. Thanks all.

Chris