BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 325i about 1 year ago, and have spent most of that year obsessed with squeaks, rattles, drivetrain whine, bad steering, bad dealers, bad alignments, sticky clutch, stick pedal, etc. All of these little niggles were starting to bug me to the point where I didn't like the car anymore, and was considering replacing it with something else (maybe a 5 series).

On friday night, I went to an ATM to get some cash. My car was parked under one of those sodium streetlights (the really bright, harsh kind). I had recently detailed the car, and had thought that it was looking decent-- its jet black paint looked shiny and rich. Underneath the harsh glow of the streetlight, the paint looked absolutely awful. It was a scratched, swirled, smeary mess that would even be shameful on a 10 year old car. Something kind of snapped in me-- and I thought to myself "To hell with this car, I don't like it that much and i'm going to stop caring about it".

The next day, I took a long drive up the Taconic parkway in NY. I drove the car the way you might drive a rental car-- with indifference. For once, I didn't baby it-- I was revving the engine as much as I felt like, driving fast, taking corners without a care, etc. Even the steering felt good (I had noticed a loose dead spot on center ever since my retrofit). I wasn't really paying attention to the car, but after driving for about 20 minutes, I started to realize that I was "in the zone" and really having fun. I hadn't noticed any squeaks or rattles and the engine sounded better than I'd ever remembered-- a beautiful tenor snarl. There was no trace of the dreaded drivetrain whine that I'd notice in miles past. Over stretches of bumpy tarmac, the car even sounded reasonably solid-- I didn't notice any rattles or squeaks for once. For the first time since I picked up the car, I was actually smiling while driving it-- instead of getting frustrated and pissed off.

I noticed that the 75 mile trip seemed like it had taken 5 minutes-- and I felt great-- relaxed, alert, and not sore at all. Usually, I can never get comfortable in the car and end up fidgeting and moving for most of the time-- and arrive w/ a sore back, tired arms and stiff neck.

I guess for the first time since i got the car, I really "bonded" with it. So, from now on, I'm going to try and drive it like I don't care about it. I'm also going to try and be less concerned w/ detailing it. Apparently, I'm not very good at it, and it just ends up putting me in over-critical mind set where nothing is ever right.

That being said, i would like to atleast reduce the scratched, smeary mess that I now know exists on the hood and trunk.

That's my 10, 500 mile report. I'm hoping that I can remain just as relaxed for the next 150 thousand miles or so.

BTW, in the latest roundel, there is cool story about a guy who bought 2 2002s and had them restored w/ identical paint jobs. 1 of them he is making a "garage queen" and the other one will be a driver's car. That way, he can always have 1 car to just "look at" and another to really flog. Given that I only have 1 car, I think my car is going to have to be one that really gets flogged.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
robg said:

I guess for the first time since i got the car, I really "bonded" with it. So, from now on, I'm going to try and drive it like I don't care about it. I'm also going to try and be less concerned w/ detailing it. Apparently, I'm not very good at it, and it just ends up putting me in over-critical mind set where nothing is ever right.
You just realized this! :yikes:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Rob,

That's how I felt about my previous sedan. On the trip to do the trade, I really thought to myself, hey, this car ain't so bad. I really like this car. Well, for me, I had put up with too much frustration to try and back out of the deal at this point. Lukily, I wasn't getting into any other car but another 3 series.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rchoudry-

How are things going w/ your new car? I'm going to try and maintain my current mindset of "hear no evil, see no evil". When I get in the car, I'm going to pretend its a Ford Taurus rental car, and then be pleasantly surprised by its performance. If I get in the car and think "this a 30k BMW, and it better be perfect", then i get in trouble. As much as we may complain about things, unfortunately, there isn't anything out there that really comes close (and yes, i'm including the G35 and IS300 in that statement). I'm hoping that Honda makes good on its promise to build a sports sedan on the S2k platform. That will be a car to watch...

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vince-

Glad to hear that you guys had fun on the track. I guess its really true that these cars need to be driven hard to really appreciate them. This past weekend drove that point home for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.