BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X3 has been a little sluggish starting. Yesterday, it stopped starting at all! New starter needed - to the tune of about $1400. Only 92,000 miles. Anybody else had this problem? I hoped the high dollar repairs were done at 85,000 miles when I had to have the transfer case replaced ($4000). Do I have a lemon or is this normal on these cars? I've had it since it was brand new. All BMW scheduled maintenance done (plus oil changes in-between those high-mileage maintenance visits).

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
My X3 has been a little sluggish starting. Yesterday, it stopped starting at all! New starter needed - to the tune of about $1400. Only 92,000 miles. Anybody else had this problem? I hoped the high dollar repairs were done at 85,000 miles when I had to have the transfer case replaced ($4000). Do I have a lemon or is this normal on these cars? I've had it since it was brand new. All BMW scheduled maintenance done (plus oil changes in-between those high-mileage maintenance visits).
One of the reasons I am getting rid of my 08 X3 is the high cost of repairs and being left stranded waiting for a flatbed. Curious though. I keep getting offers from BMW dealer and BMWNA to extend my warranty. Maybe you should consider that as they are only $2500.00 max and would have covered both your latest problems.

Good Luck

· Registered
903 Posts
Did the dealer replace the starter? How come so expensive? The starter on my MDX cost me less than $400

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
i didn't know bmw still sold warranties to cars out of warranty
Neither did I. I think they dont know it as well. I keep throwing them out as I am down to about 30 days before I get rid of it.

Sorry about this, but like I said it's one of the reasons I wont keep the car out of warranty.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - dealer replaced the starter. Actually ended up being a little less - $1199 (plus the tow). I didn't know how sluggish it had gotten starting up until today when I started it with the new starter in there. Wow!

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Did the dealer replace the starter? How come so expensive? The starter on my MDX cost me less than $400
Packaging.

There are some mechanical servicing advantages to that V6 East West layout compared to the inline 6 North South orientation.

The MDX starter motor will likely be easily accessible from above once the battery tray is removed.

I'd guess 1.5 hrs. flat-rate for R&R and $200 for the Denso starter.

For the X3, it's got to be close to the firewall and the front differential and only accessible from below after removing a few other pieces and structural members possibly.

More like 3.5 hrs. I'd say and we know about the cost of German electrical components.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
Geez that's surprising. I always assumed German cars had stout starters. My X3 has more much mileage and I have been manually Stop-Starting the vehicle at redlights (excess of 30sec stop) for over 3 years when conditions are appropriate.

· Gearhead
282 Posts
i haven't had any problems with my starter *knock on wood* i'm at 116k miles.

from the TIS, it sounds like the starter is pretty easy to replace from under the car??? o_O

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/06/79

although i don't know what a Pressure accumulator is to remove and couldn't find an article corresponding to it
that is for the X5, albiet it may be very similar.

· Registered
3,895 Posts

· Registered
3,895 Posts
160,000 miles, still the original starter on a 2005 X3 here.
Only 65K miles (104K km.) and don't expect my starter to die any time soon.

Based on experience related here, I expect these things to go before the starter motor:

- washer pumps

- valve cover gasket

- expansion tank

- intake boot

- front struts

- front suspension bushings

- engine cooling fan

- blower motor

- actuator for transfer case

(Listed in approx. order of likelihood)

Having escaped premature failure of rear springs, differentials, transfer case, A/C, MAF sensor and window regulator up until now, I expect them, like the starter motor, to be good for a while yet.

Haven't even had the A-pillar trim separation problem.

· Registered
96 Posts
Hmm... my starter has been kind of sluggish lately. I wonder if I'll soon experience your issue. I am on the extended warranty until Nov '12. I should bring this up next time I'm at the dealership.

· Registered
1 Posts
x3

I just replaced my starter in My 2008 x3 and it was going to be $1100 we asked the dealer to ask BMW to help with the cost of this new starter. The did they came back with a 50/50 split. Ask your dealer to do the same. Now it run's better than its ever done since I've owned it amazing.

· Registered
5 Posts
I drove 2008 X3 for exact one week. There were about 8 times I had trouble to start. Tried around 10 times then started certainly. 71000 miles, dealer also experienced same problem. Refer to local BMW professional, not BMW dealer. They kept a day, but couldn't duplicates same problem. However, after I picked up and about couple of hours ago, it happens. I tried app called BMWhat lite and found there's fault report as below. Any suggestion welcome. Thanks,

Fault Report - BMWhat - Version: 6.05
ID1: 5f25816c-0131-40f7-8804-8e1e7dfcb8a1-850ID2: 46b2f318-4a64-4bdb-8b44-919c6b97600b-cf2
Base: E83
Faults: 1
ECUs: 1
Model: X3 3.0 si N 52 B 30 A
Battery: 14.0V
Enhanced communication
Normal connection
Date: 2014-01-11 15:11:32
OBDII
Version: 17
Device: >samsung< >espressorfxx< >GT-P3100<
Motor Control:
Engine / Motor
Fehler: electric fan, self-diagnosis / Fan control
Code: 2EFF

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.