BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellow e36ers, heres a question for you.

So I have a 1998 328is and its been having an issue. Whenever I go out driving for a while and I park the car in the sun, when i come back and turn the key, nothing happens. The power turns on, the radio turn on, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. Not even a little bit. I mention the common scenario because of this: When I start it cold, or its been in the shade for a while, its fine. But when I've been driving it, and its out in the heat of the sun, it doesn't start.

Some advice/help would be very much appreciated. I mean, I love driving my sisters 96 civic hatchback around :)p) but... you know. Its not quite my e36

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
hmm, got me stumped :confused:. Are the battery terminals connected well? Does it happen sometimes in the heat as well? That is really weird. BTW, are you currently in Napa or Ventura?

·
Registered
139 Posts
make sure all the conections are tight and corrosion free

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, got me stumped :confused:. Are the battery terminals connected well? Does it happen sometimes in the heat as well? That is really weird. BTW, are you currently in Napa or Ventura?
It does happen in the heat most of the time. Currently I am in Napa right now, by september I'll be in Ventura

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Hmm, im over in Vallejo. But you should be safe picking up a new starter

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
If it was your starter it would click at least so it is NOT your starter.
I would suspect a relay or connections as have been mentioned before.
Signs of a starter going bad is the solenoid not engaging and whining or just a click if the starter windings were swollen.
Starter motor terminal 30 is something to check according to Bentley. Terminal 30 is the smaller wire of the 3 wires going to the starter, again a possible connection issue.
DO NOT work on the starter without disconnecting the battery as those are hot and you can weld a tool to the car if you touch the hot terminal and metal...

·
Registered
31 Posts
A starter will not click all the time when going bad or is bad. Mine would work and then not work no clicking. So yes it most likly the starter

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
The solenoid that engages the starter with the flywheel is what clicks when you have low voltage. The initial current moves it forward but can't hold it against the return spring. The motor portion of the start doesn't have any parts that will "click". It does however have carbon brushes that must make contact with the rotor. When they get extremely worn the contact gets intermittent and you could get a situation where the temperature change could have them just out of contact.
The same could also happen with an open connection due to corrosion............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts